Technical CV gaiter

Currently reading:
Technical CV gaiter

Chris Haigh

Fiat Stilo MOT advisory. CV gaiter damaged but still preventing ingress of dirt. Questions:
1.Would a universal CV gaiter be suitable as a replacement? Videos I've seen on youtube appear to show the gaiter split and glueing it together (special glue supplied) prior to fitting. Others with gaiter whole, show having to disassemble a good portion of the hub to fit.
2. Which type of grease to pack boot after fitting?
3. Would I also need to purchase one of those gaiter clamp fitting tools?
4. Would a jubilee clip be suitable?

You can get universal gaitors but they have to be the right "near enough" size (they are stretchy, but only to a point).

You will need a special cone doodah to fit it.

If you use a OE part and are able to dismantle a bit of hub, then you won't need any special tools to fit it... though you might need a puller to get the driveshaft out of the hub/tripoid.

You could use a Jubilee clip but the screw head is likely to clout the wishbone arm or the knuckle. On the other hand, motor factors sell the proper clips cheaper and they will fit without interference.

Ralf S.

I have used the glue on ones before - on an Alfa GTA of all things. they make the job very simple and save disassembling drive shafts etc.

Once they're glued together you've got no hope of them coming unstuck again. The glue is properly, properly evil stuff. It'll work and it'll do the job I'd be very confident.

Top tip - measure twice cut once. Once you've glued there is no going back. Dry fit it several times to make sure you're confident in how it goes together before you apply the sticky. Also have some disposable gloves to hand. It will probably come with some but having some of the blue latex style dentist / doctor gloves which fit to your hand makes it a lot easier than those big universal petrol station style things.

Will the glue work if it's all covered in grease? :O

Ralf S.

Confused?

They are brand new CV boots - you cut to size you need with the sharp as folk knife supplied with kit, glue it on over the drive shaft, slide it up into place, fill with the grease also supplied in kit and then put the ties on, also in kit.

So if you do a decent job of it you won't be contaminating the joint with grease at all.

Many thanks guys. A little shared knowledge is a valuable tool. Gonna go with the universal one and use proper clips supplied. Luckily I have access to a huge array of rubber gloves from work (don't ask).

Back