Technical Possible bad/broken Cv joint or strut?

Currently reading:
Technical Possible bad/broken Cv joint or strut?

Josh195

Hi guys,I took my 2003 2.4 stilo abarth for a good 6 hour drive today - no problems what so ever. A few hours afterreturning I decided to take car out again but noticed when turning right (only right) there is a loud bumping noise coming from the front right tyre side. I noticed there is also a high pitched hum coming front deep inside the dash or engine On the right side too.
I don't have too much knowledge around cars but thinking it could possibly be the cv or front strut?
Cheers

Broken springs are quite common mate, so you could have a look at that.

The hhhmmmm noise you describe could well be a CV joint but they tend to develop gradually as they wear and will rattle or knock under acceleration and deceleration.

Easy to test CV joints though. Just grab hold of the drive shaft somewhere near the CV and just go nuts giving it a shake. You should get some push / pull movement in and out of the hub / gearbox but any side to side, up or down motion or knocking and you know the CVJ has issues.

Have to say though, in the time I've been on this forum I've never heard of anyone with a knackered CVJ.

Back