Technical Cutting out...

Currently reading:
Technical Cutting out...

Can I trouble you all for a few second and third and fourth opinions?

Ok, i'm driving along in the Barchetta which is all nice and warmed up, running well and having no problems. Then I'll come up to a set of traffic lights and as I dip the clutch the engine will falter and then cut out

Just serviced it with new plugs filters and oil and it only happens when the car has reached its operating temp

Jim

Did it happen before the recent service? If not what is different after the service? Have they used different plugs?

My initial thought is that its the temperature sender switch that governs the fuel to the engine, kinda operates like a choke. Costs about £20 from your friendly FIAT dealer and is colour coded, usually green, blue, orange or brown (I think).......

This is what you are looking for;

Attachments

• Temp switch.jpg
    Temp switch.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 41
Mine does this too, more often in colder weather though. I've just learned to live with it, never had it investigated.

Matt

Q: The engine keeps stalling when running idle.
A: Big problem, 2 small solution (before your dealer starts taking your engine apart):
1. Have them to clean the Idle Control valve (bypass valve).
2. Reset the motormanagement (it's an addaptive system) to it's factory (average) setting by disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so.

I gleaned this from an enthusiast in Lux might work !!! http://www.ivo.lu/barchetta.htm

I had the same fault.

All I did was get some fuel cleaner (Redex) fil the tank half full, empty the redex in and blast down the motor way for 30mins. Sorted me out.

Or check your air filters are tight and all bolted together.

Let us know how you get on.

The variator is still shagged but the cutting out has stopped. Car seems much nicer to drive too. Thanks for all the hints and tips :D

The smoke was the electric antenna btw, the motor burned out when I put the battery back in the car.... The fuse didn't blow which was really weird.:confused:

I pulled the whole motor out of the housing and now I've got a manual antenna instead (till I get a new one :eek:)

Jim

Q: The engine keeps stalling when running idle.
A: Big problem, 2 small solution (before your dealer starts taking your engine apart):
1. Have them to clean the Idle Control valve (bypass valve).
2. Reset the motormanagement (it's an addaptive system) to it's factory (average) setting by disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so.

I gleaned this from an enthusiast in Lux might work !!! http://www.ivo.lu/barchetta.htm

Hello,

I did what you learned us... but i had a little problem. After i took out the bypass valve, i saw a paper gasket which was kinda glued on and ripped a little when i took the valve off. What kinda paper is that? The car is not working so well and i suppose that it uses fake air.

And i have another problem with the turning lights and hazard lights... sometimes they don't work... and i have to move a little the upper cover of the driving wheel... what can i do to fix the timer? i guess that it's moving.

Back