Technical Cutting Gearstick

Currently reading:
Technical Cutting Gearstick

RegularTourist

Hey all,

as my gearstick in my mk1 is bout 2ft tall, im really tempted to cut an inch off with a hacksaw, has anyone else attempted this? or am i bout the mess my gearstick up completly!?!:confused:

cheers

lol, whats involved in fitting a new centre console? im not that good when it comes to fitting things!!:eek:

RegularTourist said:
lol, whats involved in fitting a new centre console? im not that good when it comes to fitting things!!:eek:

Best interior mod you can do IMO, just looks better

You need a few screws, but really its just a replacement, that bolts in using handbrake bolts, then it kind of wedges itself in, but if you can find the screws, off a model that had the console, you can make it more secure

Cut about 1 and half 2 inches off, makes it look better, and no effect on changing gear

TBH even with the centre console installed it still seems very big compared to my dads astra etc.

I would like to cut it down but don't have the confidence to do it incase i get it wrong. I dread to think how high the gear stick is without the centre console. :D (picky with centre console; http://www.mattstephens.co.uk/car/int1.jpg)

Typical italian styling i guess, they like big things,

Matt

right, the thing to remember is that the standard knob will not go back on when you cut down the stick...

also ,there is a welded washer round the gear stick which is a nightmare if, like me you have a bit under the gearknob so the gaiter fits flush... i cut off about 10mm below the thin bit and It's difficult to fit the knob and shaft sleeve on.

Back