Technical Cutting Gearstick

Currently reading:
Technical Cutting Gearstick

RegularTourist

Hey all,

as my gearstick in my mk1 is bout 2ft tall, im really tempted to cut an inch off with a hacksaw, has anyone else attempted this? or am i bout the mess my gearstick up completly!?!:confused:

cheers

faster4_tec

Burninator of threads!
buy a GT centre console (I can get you one from breakers yard), and the stick looks a damn site shorter (as most of stick is covered by console) and feels nicer too, even makes a nice noise with the bag wrinkling up!

sutty2tone

i cut mine down in my bravo by 3 inches,,,then put a nice little gear nob on it,,,looks wicked,,,i think,lol

OP
OP
R

RegularTourist

lol, whats involved in fitting a new centre console? im not that good when it comes to fitting things!!:eek:

yeah, cut off 1-2 inches, makes the gear change feel alot nicer :) cut off 1 inch then take for a drive and try it out if still not right then do another inch, but remember not to go too far!

tinnion87

RegularTourist said:
lol, whats involved in fitting a new centre console? im not that good when it comes to fitting things!!:eek:

Best interior mod you can do IMO, just looks better

You need a few screws, but really its just a replacement, that bolts in using handbrake bolts, then it kind of wedges itself in, but if you can find the screws, off a model that had the console, you can make it more secure

Cut about 1 and half 2 inches off, makes it look better, and no effect on changing gear

FiatStiloJTD

Check OK
TBH even with the centre console installed it still seems very big compared to my dads astra etc.

I would like to cut it down but don't have the confidence to do it incase i get it wrong. I dread to think how high the gear stick is without the centre console. :D (picky with centre console; http://www.mattstephens.co.uk/car/int1.jpg)

Typical italian styling i guess, they like big things,

Matt

CinquePunto

^^^Joker
right, the thing to remember is that the standard knob will not go back on when you cut down the stick...

also ,there is a welded washer round the gear stick which is a nightmare if, like me you have a bit under the gearknob so the gaiter fits flush... i cut off about 10mm below the thin bit and It's difficult to fit the knob and shaft sleeve on.