cromas are NOT a total sales flop...

Currently reading:
cromas are NOT a total sales flop...

even though theres hardley any cromas around, ive seen way more cromas than the horrible vauxhall signums and renault velsatis. :D infact i heard that the velsatis (any one remember them?) they just sold somethign silly like 8 across the world hahahahhaha.now thats bad:). so the croma isnt a total sales flop as ive deffo seen a few more:)

"In March 2005, Renault UK decided not to develop a right-hand drive version of the facelifted Vel Satis, as sales of the model had been poor in the United Kingdom since launch. Although 3,500 sales predicted, only a third of these were achieved."

That's more than 8 :p

Ive seen a good 3-4 in the past year.

I still quite like it in a strange way too (maybe cos £7k buys a lot of fairly well supported car)

I saw one today.....but i was at a fiat dealer test driving a car with no springs....(bet you can't guess which one) before that saw one about 9 months ago but might have been a demo car

I think you are confusing the VelSatis with the Aventime, which was an even bigger sales flop. Then confusing this with the Espace which on its release back in the mid 80s was rumoured to have sold less than 10 units in its first month on sale.

the croma looks a nice car and just lately i have seen quite a few for sale, i would have looked at some if i didnt have the stilo :D

(but, i dont complain if i get to use the signum at work :rolleyes:) - as its also a reasonablly nice car

One of the contractors at work had one. Really nice car the interior could of been made of better quality materials in my opinion, but i could live with it. can't understand why they never sold, but saying that i've never seen any marketing on it either.

Last edited:
One man's sales flop is another man's bargain - One of the reasons I bought one was that there's hardly any around - mine is now lpg converted and I'm lovin' it !!!

I have driven my colleagues company 1.9 mjet 150 for a number of miles and I like it. He reckons he would have another one and I could consider a second hand one. (He has also had 1.9 and 2.4 156 sportwagons and still prefers the Croma).

Initially, the Croma wasn't particularly strongly marketed. Perhaps Fiat realised it was going to struggle to be competitive.

I think the Croma's biggest problem (oustide of being a reskinned Vectra) is that it falls outside of what most people think of when they think Fiat. Fiat's core competency has always been small, stylish, efficient and economic cars. The Croma is rather the opposite. Fiat's quality reputation also did not help and I think some prospective buyers were put off by the thought of having the steering wheel come off in their hands and all the rest and didn't want to buy a car at this price level that they expected to have potential problems with.

Here in the Little Land of Chocolate and Beer, Fiat Belgium was clearing out unsold pre-facelift Cromas with a 30% discount off the tax free MSRP for those so entitled and up to 26% off on the facelifted versions. Not a good sign.

The Idea has also been a flop and it is no longer sold here. Having owned one, I can say that part of the problem is that it was too expensive compared to the Punto, the chassis and steering were poor (and that's being polite) and the big blind spots caused by the front pillars did not exactly help matters. For the rest, it was very good on interior space and flexibility and the 1.9 JTD was really fun to drive in a straight line.

Back