Technical Croma power steering problem

Currently reading:
Technical Croma power steering problem

I am due to view a Croma 1.9 td tomorrow but the owner just phoned me to say the power steering has intermitently stopped working, accompanied by the light on the dash, which I understand has stayed on. I have searched all posts on here and it sounds like it could be the p/s pump. Do you all think thats the most likley cause ?

Do the 2.4's also have the same problematic GM power steering system ?
I think they have a different alternator which of course is the other regular problem with the 1.9td's?

Which is the most reliable powerplant and drive train/ancilaries (i.e things like alternators, starter motors etc? Are most engine bay components the same on the 1.9 & 2.4 ? Things like starter motors etc. I thought the 2.4 was all Fiat parts?

Also I read on here the 1.9td manual gearbox is weak, but the auto's seem more reliable? Is that correct - sorry for so many questions, I have read most of the posts on here and I am beinging to think maybe its not such a good idea to buy a Croma, although deep down I really fancy one - Thx David

I am due to view a Croma 1.9 td tomorrow but the owner just phoned me to say the power steering has intermitently stopped working, accompanied by the light on the dash, which I understand has stayed on. I have searched all posts on here and it sounds like it could be the p/s pump. Do you all think thats the most likley cause ?

Do the 2.4's also have the same problematic GM power steering system ?
I think they have a different alternator which of course is the other regular problem with the 1.9td's?

Which is the most reliable powerplant and drive train/ancilaries (i.e things like alternators, starter motors etc? Are most engine bay components the same on the 1.9 & 2.4 ? Things like starter motors etc. I thought the 2.4 was all Fiat parts?

Also I read on here the 1.9td manual gearbox is weak, but the auto's seem more reliable? Is that correct - sorry for so many questions, I have read most of the posts on here and I am beinging to think maybe its not such a good idea to buy a Croma, although deep down I really fancy one - Thx David

Power steering is the same but access is worse.
Alternator is more powerful but is mounted differently, which is the main reason it lasts longer.
The 2.4 is all Alfa parts (i.e. Fiat parts). All filters except pollen filter are different. The MAF is different. The starter motor, fuel pump, cam belt and thermostat are about the only major things that I can think of that are the same. It really is a completely different installation, the paraphernalia for the oil cooler and automatic gearbox steals even more space. Even the radiator and intercooler are different...
Autos are more reliable than manuals but are not completely bulletproof, no autobox is. Having no oil change interval doesn't help.
Compared to something like the Stilo the Croma is complicated and over-engineered, and (in 2.4 form) awkward to work on (e.g. garages will remove the engine and gearbox to change the cambelt or water pump).
The Stilo is a Fiat, the Croma is a Vectra with some Fiat bits stuck on. If you can accept that, they're quite cheap for what you get. Hope this helps.

Thx DoidontI appreciate your reply, I just need to find out the most common cause for Croma intermittent power steering failure accompanied by the p/steering warning light? Anyone?

I planned to buy a 1.9 16v 150bhp manual, I dont want a 2.4td auto due to the higher fuel consumption. I can get 50-60 mpg on a run out of my re-mapped stilo wagon with 157 bhp.

Dealers are all trying to make £1000 on these Cromas, they are buying 55/06/56 plate ones for £2000-2500 and trying to sell them at £3500+
I am not playing that game, as I, like all Fiat owners have to keep a cash reserve for the problems ahead ! If you want reliability by a Subaru Legacy, I did 124,000 mls in one and had hardly any problems, trouble is a diesel legacy estate is about £10,000+

had the same problem with the power steering.
It took 2 years until it was solved.
The cure was very simple: bad connector of the red power lead.

The first signs started two years ago and it was difficult to diagnose until the PS completely failed.
Then I tried the read the PS with FiatEcuScan but I could't get connection.
When I disconnected the main connector with the surroundings where covered with black dust (due to sparks from bad connection).
I have cleaned the connectors and the problem was solved and FiatEcuScan got connected. The fault code was pointing to bad connection.
If you change the pump assembly the problem will be solved, not because of the pump but because of the better connection.

The connector can not stand the high current and after four years it gives trouble.
I'm pretty certain the the problem will reappear, the I will fit a new connector.

Maybe you can buy the car taking into account a new pump and fitting . . .

I hope you can understand my broken english.;)

Mine has just had a pas problem...........the engine undertray is missing and the pas ecu connectors have been containated.........just removed them and put peugeot electrcal connector grease on them...(the grease was developed for the peugeot 605s that had electrical connector problems,,,,,,yes showing my age)

all fixed now......until timing belt idler and water pump failed.......wasnt replaced at the same time as timing belt....so be warned.....

Have to say as a Croma owner you may be wise to stay away.
Bought mine 3 years ago and have had the battery, alternator and steering column in attempts to fix power steering failure problem.
Car has only done 28,000 miles and just died again today one year after new steering column(£800) and only 8000 miles! No confidence in the car at all.
Rear door handle broke, boot opens intermittently
thumb_down.gif

Had same problems ,altenator at 30.000 ,door handle cheap and nasty,power steering repeatedly failing .local garage ,cant pinpoint problem ,ecu .not highljghting a problem, unsure if its pump and too expensive to guess, quoted nearly a grand to have ecu replaced ,again garage clutching at straws. Surely fiat should hold theyre hands up and recall them

Back