Technical Creaking Suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Creaking Suspension

Geoff

Hi everyone, I've got a groaning/squeaking noise comming from the rear mainly over speed bumps but sometimes when i accelerate and then come of the throttle suddenly (2nd gear), I also get some noises from the front occasionaly when parking (lock to lock), I know i'm gonna end up back at the dealer's just wondered if anyone else has had these probs?. Also i'm half way thru the 3rd year warranty so if there is some sort of prob with the springs/bush's etc do you think this would be covered?.

Many Thanks

52 plate Abarth

I have what I'd say is more of a squeaking sound coming from the rear left - just when I go over bumps... turning the stereo up gets rid of the problem ;)

I also suffer from creaking from the front end, which is worst when parking or turning the wheel whilst stationary. I've had the garage check it out on a couple of occasions whilst they have been sorting other things out... but after two weeks or so it has come back just as bad as before.

I don't think its a problem as I had the car independently checked by a DEKRA inspector (long story) and he picked nothing up to do with the suspension at all.

The next plan is to get it checked out by my (non-FIAT) friendly local garage. They usually get things sorted straight away... they had a lot of practise working on FIATs with my old Bravo!

My 1.2 does the same occasionally but more from the rear right, especially with people in it.
Put it down to either A) im a fat knacker and bust it or B) lack of use as 98% of the time there is only me in the car.

Most cars I have been in have creaks. The worst I ever experienced was an M plate rover 420SLi when my old man had from new till about 5 years old, never bleeding stopped creaking whatever.

Mine has an annoying creak too, but it's very confusing...

It's not quite a knocking sound, but not a squeak either.

It seems to happen mostly when the car is cold and driving slowly over speed bumps.

But every now and then it happens at faster speeds and after the car has been running for a while. :confused:

Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear, sometimes the front, sometimes the roof!:eek:

My dealer checked it out and found nothing wrong. They apparently greased the suspension while they were at it.

It still happens.

:mad:

creaking suspension eh.question;-does it go when it rains? i suspect you have a dry suspension bush.possibly bottom damper bush or a radius arm bush.if you spray the bushes with silicone it should quieten them.the rain acts the same as it creates a film so decreases friction :D

I had the whole creak in the rear, first it was a tailgate misalignment, then it was a dodgy suspension system, had the whole thing replaced by the dealer, (lovely people) and its fine since, i may get it checked on this service though.

Mine creaks from the left front usually while on a long motorway run or when it its off-road (don't ask!!). Anyway, it's due for a service next month so I'll attempt to get the dealer to fix it along with the usual long list of error mesages. :D

Lead said:
Mine has an annoying creak too, but it's very confusing...

It's not quite a knocking sound, but not a squeak either.

It seems to happen mostly when the car is cold and driving slowly over speed bumps.

But every now and then it happens at faster speeds and after the car has been running for a while. :confused:

Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear, sometimes the front, sometimes the roof!:eek:

My dealer checked it out and found nothing wrong. They apparently greased the suspension while they were at it.

It still happens.

:mad:
I get this same creak, mainly when i am going slowly and turn the car up over a dropped kerb. It sounds like it comes from the roof area for me too :confused: it's almost like the car is flexing under the weight of the turn and it sounds like the car is twisting. I don't know if this is something you would get because of the sky window and a lack of support through the roof area ?

blackJTD said:
im getting these creaks now! mainly when i turn to move off, is this easily sorted or a pricey one (still have warranty thankfully!)?

You can do it yourself just get some silicone lubricant spray from halfords & spray the top & bottom mount bushes. It's nothing to worry about.;)

Like this?:rolleyes: :p ;)

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,365
  • images-2.jpg
    images-2.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,343
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,338
Back