General Creaking noise

Currently reading:
General Creaking noise

sarahc1986

For the last few weeks i've noticed a creaking sound that seems to come from the back of car. I notice it more when going over bumps. I've got a 56 reg GP thats just passed its first MOT and was also fully checked over before hand by my best mate whos a mechanic. I've tried the spare wheel which is tight and the boot is completley empty. Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm presuming as its passed its MOT and my friend found nothing wrong then its more than likely something small?

Using the search function, do advanced search and look for the thread titled 'Door Locks Question' it's even got pictures on how to get rid of the creaks.

Last edited:
I know the passanger door creaks however its definatley coming from the back and I only have the 3 doors it sounds like its on both sides at the rear but surely if it was suspension or something it would have been picked up on the MOT

MOT isn't a service but a report of the cars road-worthiness. MOT tester dont care if you have no rear wiper blade or reverse light as not part of MOT for example.

Why not get someone to sit in back seat & see if they can hear the noise?...is it the rear seat itself/seat catches?

My sister sits in the back alot and just says she can here it behind the seat. I never thought it would be the seats so i'll collapse them and put them back tomorrow see if that does anything as I had them down not long ago just before the problem started

it is probarly the rear seat back catches that want adjusting believe me this is the least of your worries contact ur nearest fiat dealer because your grande punto may need the new safety recall about the tightness of the upper steering collumn bolt

I'm pretty sure Fiat would have recalled it if they knew of a fault wouldn't they? I'll check the seats tomorrow as I had trouble folding the seat back up once i'd lied it flat...

Nope but I know theres been no recalls based on my VIN number. I'll give the seats a check incase its them as its only when going over bumps failing that i'll take it back to my mate who did a full check before the MOT and found nothing see if anythings crept up

Sounds like the door locks problem to me. It does sound like that the body or suspension is creaking behind you. ( I have a 3 door sporting ) and was also convinced it was NOT the locks, but it was. Put tape on the striker and try again, I think you may be surprised.

Thanks as I know its definatley not the seats and my mates had a look today and suspension etc is fine. Locks on this car are a nightmare had a new drivers mechanism fitted a few weeks ago when it decided to suddenly stop. I'll have a look tomorrow when its light might tackle the passenger one too as its slowly getting on my nerves. Thanks for all the advice (y)

i've got exactly the same problem...but i have tried putting tape around the strikers and also played around with adjusting the strikers and had no luck. so i reckon i've got to change the locks. Went to my dealer and they told me it would cost £200 minimum! surely not?! this sounds mad.

Well tape round the striker worked a treat on the passenger lock. However no luck with the noise at the back tried the boot but still doing it. To me it sounds like its coming from the edges of the car ie near the wheel arches/suspension any other ideas? Its going into the garage just wondering if to brace myself for a big bill after just 19k miles

I had this a year ago. Took the car to local dealer, tech heard creak and left it with them. They took the rear suspension apart, lubbed and back together, no noise since. :)

was yours better when the car was wet? if i just wash it or it rains i find the noise is much improved. I reckon it is therefore something that needs lubricating in the rear suspension...

was yours better when the car was wet? if i just wash it or it rains i find the noise is much improved. I reckon it is therefore something that needs lubricating in the rear suspension...

well this is what was happening to me read sboy66's message and decided to jack the car up and have a look.......

(yes axle stands as well)

once unloaded the main pivot bush becomes "slack" and you can see where it makes contact with the support so just pushed a load of rubber safe grease in and its shut up (took a few miles mind to work in as i couldn't get at the back of the bush with my grease injector... (there are slight castleations (spl) think turrets) where i managed to get my mini grease gun * http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36082 * in

and used this grease
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5954

(available from all good bike shops)

(will take pics if i remember at the weekend and make a guide up if i get chance)

So thanks sboy66 (y)

thanks for that info, pics and a guide would be amazing! Means i don't have to spend a fortune on my dealer looking at it!
cheers!

Andy, do you have a picture of the exact location to put the grease on?

Back