Crashed my car, question about claims.

Currently reading:
Crashed my car, question about claims.

Josh Bowe

Hey,

I crashed my car eariler this morning. I was turning into an industrial estate and hit some ice, ended up losing control of my car and skidding into a lorry.

My question is, I am wanting to settle the cost outside of insurance companies (because the only damage I have caused to his lorry is a scratch on the doorstep). If I want to settle it outside of the insurance companies, does the lorry driver have to listen or can he claim on my insurance even if I'm willing to settle the bill without involving insurers?

Also, the lorry driver's company is based in Lithuania. Does this mean that I won't be able to settle the bill with money; and that I will have to go through the insurance company?

Not looking forward to a high premium! :(

Yeah, I got some photos of the damage. It was just minor scratches though, but it'll mean I won't be able to afford my car for the next three years if it goes through the insurance! :(

Do you know how long the driver will be around? If he goes back to Lithuania he may not be back for weeks or months. Having said that, he may be only too keen to take a backhander and say he didn't know who caused the damage. On the other hand it may come back to bite you in the bum if he takes the money and still claims. The only other thing you can do is get him to sign a receipt for the money, but he could later claim he didn't know what he was signing and say he hadn't had any money. The safest bet is through insurance.

Back