Technical Crankcase sensor

Currently reading:
Technical Crankcase sensor

Xadryxil

Hi, Having occasional problem with our 2002 1.9 JTD cutting out in traffic. I've read that it could be the crankcase sensor. Can anyone tell me if this is the part I've attached pictures of? It's the most obvious sensor looking part I can see on the crankcase! Is this sensor the same as the 'rpm sensor' mentioned in other posts?
Thanks!

Attachments

• crankcase sensor 2.jpg
    crankcase sensor 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 26
  • crankcase sensor 1.jpg
    crankcase sensor 1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16
Hi mate,

That is not the crank sensor....have a look at this GUIDE on how to replace the crank sensor on the JTD and it is detailed where it is on the. The crank sensor is also know as an RPM sensor.
The one you have unplugged would apear to be the temp sensor.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Thanks a lot Alan, thought the one I'd found was too easy! Not sure crank/rpm sensor is the problem I've got though. When the engine cuts out all the electrics die too - ignition dead, hazard lights won't work. After 30 seconds or maybe a couple of minutes the ignition works again and it starts up and runs fine. This happens every now and then, not every journey. Must be electrical fault I suppose, but maybe not this sensor?
Cheers,
Simon

Thanks a lot Alan, thought the one I'd found was too easy! Not sure crank/rpm sensor is the problem I've got though. When the engine cuts out all the electrics die too - ignition dead, hazard lights won't work. After 30 seconds or maybe a couple of minutes the ignition works again and it starts up and runs fine. This happens every now and then, not every journey. Must be electrical fault I suppose, but maybe not this sensor?
Cheers,
Simon

When you say the all the electrics die.... does that include the dash ie no warning lights....clock etc?

Alan

Er, 'yes' I think so. Apparently the dash lights go off and all electrics have died (headlights, radio etc). Haven't checked to see if the clock is reset. I say apparently because this has only happened when my wife was driving the car. It's happened to her three times now in the last couple of weeks and she doesn't want to drive it any more! I've taken it out a few times and had no problems at all.
Thanks for your help,
Simon

Ok, in that case i would suggest it probably isnt the crank sensor, and more likely to be an electrical connection or loose battery terminal, as a faulty crank sensor wouldnt cause a total loss of power. May be worth starting at the battery and working back checking the connections.

Good luck,
Alan

Yeah, I didn't think the sensor would do that. I've already checked the battery terminals and they are fine, so I'll go and do a bit of highly technical wire wiggling now and see what I can find...
Thanks for the advice,
Simon

Found the problem. It's the ignition switch! Very sensitive - just a gentle knock on the key cuts the ignition. So a speed bump or pot hole does it. Or bouncing off the kerbs like my wife does ;) Has anyone had experience of this? Both keys do it, so I think the lock/switch is worn. You can feel some sort of microswitch toggling when you wiggle the key in position 2, that's what seems to be too sensitive. Do I need a new ignition switch and keys or can it be fixed? I'm on a budget :cry:
Cheers,
Simon

Last edited:
When I used to work in Fiat Parts we used to sell quite a few ignition switches for various Fiats. You used to buy just the switch part which fits on the bottom of the ignition barrel - no need for new keys etc. I just hope its the same nowadays!

Good Luck

Thanks equaliser. I've not phoned a dealer yet- turns out this problem was only affecting my wife because she has a bunch of keys attached to the car one. So they were jumping about hanging off the car key in the ignition and tripping the dodgy switch whereas I only ever use the spare car key on its own. We've taken her key off the bunch and so far no more cutting out :rolleyes: It'll do for now :D
Cheers,
Simon

Back