Technical crank seal leaking

Currently reading:
Technical crank seal leaking

Hello.
I have been restoring a Seicento for about a year now and have given it all new gaskets and seals and so on in the engine. Yesterday was the first tour in it and it began to smell like hot oil and it started leaking from a crank seal (came from behind the flywheel). So now I'm curious as to how it could happen since it should've been installed correctly and it was lubed up nicely. Has anyone had that problem before and do you guys have any recommendations for a good brand-quality seal that would be great.

Hello.
I have been restoring a Seicento for about a year now and have given it all new gaskets and seals and so on in the engine. Yesterday was the first tour in it and it began to smell like hot oil and it started leaking from a crank seal (came from behind the flywheel). So now I'm curious as to how it could happen since it should've been installed correctly and it was lubed up nicely. Has anyone had that problem before and do you guys have any recommendations for a good brand-quality seal that would be great.
Assume no wear ridge on crankshaft where seal rubs/touches and coming from behind flywheel and not rear end of sump gasket and as you say installed correctly, lubed up nicely. When ever rebuilding engines I was always generous with the oil can and sometimes even a little grease on oil seal lips.
Nowadays they worry about too much oil contaminating catalysts and sensors etc. Not a problem in the past.;)
No engine "breathing" crankcase pressure, pushing oil out?
In the old days Halls or Payen were the best quality gaskets and seals etc.

Thanks for reply!
The breather tube wasnt clogged with anything so maybe just bad luck.
In a few days me and my dad will try and disassemble it bit for bit, we’ll hope that its the oil pan that is leaking else we will just try with another seal.

Did you put thread lock on the flywheel bolt threads? I had issues with oil leaking through there when I forgot once!
It didn't leak too badly though, but worth remembering.

I used an ajusa engine gasket set when I rebuilt my engine and I've had no leaks In 5 years :)

Back