Technical Cracked Windscreen

Currently reading:
Technical Cracked Windscreen

probably not, as it would have been in the original documentation, however if you're bored and have nothing to do then feel free to make a complaint to them, I don't see why they wouldn't at least look into it and maybe give you the no claims back that was frozen?

I have 4 at the mo, should have 6 but got screwed when I first started driving, becoming a habit being roped out of getting no claims. So now with it being frozen when this policy finished it will stay at 4 and not go to 5.

I might at least try, they will prob say no but like you say, maybe they will at least look at it.

they have to at least look at it by law anyway and give you an initial reply within 24 or 48 hours, can't remember which now. They have up to 8 weeks to finalise the complaint and if you're still not happy with the outcome then you can complain to the financial ombudsman

So, I was driving home last night from the parents house and a stone (or something) hit the cold windscreen and cracked it, not chipped proper cracked in the left hand corner :mad:

I have the same cracked screen issue. I have an MOT coming up, and I assume this crack is going to result in a fail, am I right ?:(

Funny someone opened this thread as I forgot about it. :)

You know my broken windshield, right? What are the chances of it cracking in the opposite direction as well for no apparent reason? Again, 3 days after a new replacement.

Sure, you may say, there's a stone chip there, but why would suck a small stone cause so much damage, I don't understand.

IMGP4580.JPGIMGP4585.JPG

Funny someone opened this thread as I forgot about it. :)

You know my broken windshield, right? What are the chances of it cracking in the opposite direction as well for no apparent reason? Again, 3 days after a new replacement.

Sure, you may say, there's a stone chip there, but why would suck a small stone cause so much damage, I don't understand.

It's all those pot holes you have in Romania Vlad. ;)

Did they take the windscreen wiper scuttle panel out when they fitted your screen? Getting my screen done on Saturday, I'll take the scuttle panel out myself if it needs to come out.

looks to me like the windshield is under allot of stress about the horizontal axis....meaning any small impact (like a tiny stone, will cause big damage....dodgey fitting probably....

Precisely my point. I have alerted the operations director from Hungary about this. He emailed me and said speak to the area operations manager as he will be able to help. I went there and told him exactly what happened, showed him the bill, he said it was a chip because you can see the impact point. I specifically said that the windshield was mounted under stress and that this is why such a small stone did so much damage. It pretty freakin obvious for everyone, because one line is going straight up and the other one straight down, 90 degrees angle at the same length.

He told me and I quote: "I have never heard of this before, what do you mean mount the windshield under stress"? I asked how do you measure to forces that you apply on them, because the people were knocking the windshield with their fist to fix it in place, but hell, what do I know, I'm not the expert.

If I could have got an experts opinion, one with a certification, that stated the windshield is badly fitted, I could've won in court easily. I could even win now just by probable cause, and I have all the evidence on my side. Car never had a windshield replacement, windshield broke the second day after fitting, passengers or myself haven't heard any large stones hitting the windshield, the pattern suggests it is under stress. If I lose I would just make an appeal and force them to come to court again. If I lose again, I contest every article on the back of their invoice as some of them I consider to be abuse and against the consumer's rights etc. In the end, the legal charges would be much grater than the price of the windshield itself and I'm sure I would get a new one for free.

I'm an honest man, I paid for the damned thing myself when could have just taken a hammer and called it a vandalism act and presto new windshield for free.

Sorry about the long post, I hope you understand my frustration.

Picture :) IMGP4582.JPG

It's all those pot holes you have in Romania Vlad. ;)

Did they take the windscreen wiper scuttle panel out when they fitted your screen? Getting my screen done on Saturday, I'll take the scuttle panel out myself if it needs to come out.

I'm sure that helped as well Dave :)

Yes the scuttle panel was taken off, all the plastic nuts broke of course. Went to the dealers for replacement and paid 1 pound for 1 nut if you can imagine. That may not sound like a lot but I'm sure a whole bag of them wouldn't cost this much to fabricate.

Imagine if you needed to change the insulation under the bonnet.

Here you go, take 3 pounds worth of them :)

DSC05616.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

How long can I ignore the crack on my screen ( about 50-60mm long ), before it becomes a saftey hazard ? I need to save up a bit of cash b4 I get it fixed :(

Any ideas on how long a windscreen chip repair will last? Took the Stilo down to Autoglass today and they said they can't repair it as, apparently, it's been fixed before but it shouldn't get any worse.

Yet, it is getting worse :bang:. Think windscreen cover is going to be on my insurance must haves this year (IF it lasts that long...)

For a successful repair, it needs to be done as soon as possible after the chip or crack appears. Once any dirt has got into it, it's more difficult to make an invisible repair. I had a chip repaired on my previous car about a week after it happened and it looked worse after the repair than before.

One insurance company I used a few years ago sent small circular discs of clear sticky tape with the policy documents. They were to put over a chip in the screen while waiting to get it repaired. Assume they were to stop dirt getting in but I never needed them so don't know whether the idea would work or not.

the main idea is to stop water getting in the chip, once water gets in then when the resin is injected, water reacts with it and turns it a milky white colour. if any dirt is in there as well that can stop the resin getting all the way to the edges of the chip.

Once repaired it should last forever, once set the resin is stronger than glass

Back