Technical Stilo - Bluetooth crackly

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo - Bluetooth crackly

dtimmins1985

Established member
Hey up all,

Been meaning to getting round to looking into this for a while but kept forgetting.

Today I am finally going to bite the bullet and try sort this issue out.

Bluetooth is very crackly at times, when i first bought the MJ - the visteon cd player was fubard, i fitted a sony bluetooth cd player for a couple of months then bought a non runner MJ for parts and swapped out the Visteon unit into my current MJ.

So now i have the factory unit fitted again - a working one by the way.
The bluetooth is never crystal clear - i know the bluetooth modules in these stilo's are very old and use an older revision of bluetooth than what is currently in use now-a-days but... the newer devices are backward compatable and should be fine.

Sometimes on rare occasions it is very clear and there is no blips or crackles but since I last reset the bluetooth system - its come back with avegance.

I have just made a call from it and its like talking to someone on a BT landline with interference.

It's doing it more often now than when it first started to occur.
When i first paired up the phone it was very crackly but it settled down over a couple of weeks and was fine, i then reset the unit and its doing it again but not showing any signs of improving like it did before.

Can anyone help me?

Is there a software update for the phone module? its Phone v3.15 so im wondering maybe its up-gradable.

Any help greatly appreciated - starting to wish i hadnt flogged the sony, would have rather bought the external mic to improve quality as my voice was a little low with the standard built in mic in the sony unit.

Well this is an ugly one....

Not going to be easy to fix but I wouldn't have said it was software related, or even hardware. I'm going to shout wiring on this one.

Have you tried working out which stage of the system the interference is coming in at?

It could be the BT signal, it could be the BT module or it could be the head unit and amp. I dont suppose you know whether your callers are having as much issue hearing you as you have hearing them?

I would suspect if it was interference on the BT signal from phone to car both legs of the communication would be disrupted. In which case you'd want to be asking whether you're parked under anything like power lines or living near some kind of mast / transmitter that could be giving you issues.

I would reckon it's most likely to be that somewhere between the BT module and the headunit is likely a crusty or crappy connection. Give all the contacts a good clean and check the earths out as a first point of call I reckon.

Well this is an ugly one....

Not going to be easy to fix but I wouldn't have said it was software related, or even hardware. I'm going to shout wiring on this one.

Have you tried working out which stage of the system the interference is coming in at?

It could be the BT signal, it could be the BT module or it could be the head unit and amp. I dont suppose you know whether your callers are having as much issue hearing you as you have hearing them?

I would suspect if it was interference on the BT signal from phone to car both legs of the communication would be disrupted. In which case you'd want to be asking whether you're parked under anything like power lines or living near some kind of mast / transmitter that could be giving you issues.

I would reckon it's most likely to be that somewhere between the BT module and the headunit is likely a crusty or crappy connection. Give all the contacts a good clean and check the earths out as a first point of call I reckon.

I have isolated the issue - i had a feeling i knew what it was but hadn't tested it before i posted yesterday.

NFC and Bluetooth interfere with each other, thats really stupid thought cos NFC can be used inconjuction with Bluetooth so you can do smart pairing (touch and its paired - providing the host supports this).

Anyhow - i disabled NFC and it's working fine again, very clear and no crackles, pops, hisses or screaches :)

I would still like to update the unit though, so when i get back from holiday - i will be looking through elearn etc to see where the module is located.

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

when i get back from holiday - i will be looking through elearn etc to see where the module is located.

It's the blue box attached to the side of the lower glove box. You may need to remove the glove box to get to it.

Attachments

• Bluetooth Location.jpg
    Bluetooth Location.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Bluetooth ECU.jpg
    Bluetooth ECU.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 29
Back