General Correct operation of air con

Currently reading:
General Correct operation of air con

Foxyb

When the air con is operating in a multipla under normal UK conditions (ie medium humidity), would you expect the air con to drip condensate onto the road?

The underlay at the base of the bulkhead in the middle is very damp (and now mouldy smelling, after a prolonged usage of the air conditioning. I think this may be caused by the fact that the air conditioning condensate is not draining out of the system to the outside world and is ending up on the car

Any idea where the condensate trap/ drain is, and if it is leaking or blocked how to fix it?

Thanks
Foxyb

Drain pipe on bulkhead,normal to have big puddle of water underneath & often goes all over undertray.The smell......have you changed the air filter,also spray anti-bacterial spray in the filter housing once a month for next 3/4 months as this is common on multipla's.

I lifted the sound insulation around the centre of the bulkhead around the gear cable entry, and it was very damp. I have looked at the manual and cannot rightly see whether air con condensate drain pipe is a long black thing with a pinched end, or is short and next to the aircon pipe inlet. Any ideas?

Has anybody tried to fix this problem?

Thanks,
John

Why dont you start car with air-con on & look to see where water is coming out of,could be the pinched tube-stick finger up it to open it up abit & see if water comes out if so stick a few inches of washer pipe up it & route away from bulkhead.The smell however like I said you will only get rid of with anti bacterial spray.

Thanks very much for your advice.

I will maybe even apply a vacuum cleaner to the drain pipe, now I know where it is.

Any idea how long I have to run the aircon to get a puddle of water on the outside? Also, do you have any suggestions on what I should look to fix (have fixed) if the condensate is not coming out of the pipe at all?

I still have to dry out the sound insulation thoroughly - it still smells musty.

Regards,
Foxyb

Could you tell me which side of the bulkhead (looking from the engine bay) the drain tube is please?

I have seen a small flattened tube , about 8 - 10 cm long, next to the aircon inlet pipes on the right, and a larger tube, about 20 - 25cm long with a pinched exit behind the cam cover on the middle-left.

Also, short of dismantling the dash, is there anything else I can do to investigate/ fix this, if it is the aircon drainage?

Many thanks,

Foxby

Run it for few minutes on its coldest setting,if you have a engine underguard/tray just look from above with a torch & you will see it drip out (center or to right of bulkhead from memory)....keep hands etc away from those turny hot dangerous bits!!

Foxyb said:
When the air con is operating in a multipla under normal UK conditions (ie medium humidity), would you expect the air con to drip condensate onto the road?

The underlay at the base of the bulkhead in the middle is very damp (and now mouldy smelling, after a prolonged usage of the air conditioning. I think this may be caused by the fact that the air conditioning condensate is not draining out of the system to the outside world and is ending up on the car

Any idea where the condensate trap/ drain is, and if it is leaking or blocked how to fix it?

Thanks
Foxyb

Yes it will drip from underneath...however...Multi's do have a problem with water coming into the cabin through holes in the floorpan not sealed correctly.
Try asking on the Multipla forum at yahoo they have some good ideas over there!
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/multiplaowners/

Moriarty... :cool:

Back