Technical cooling

Currently reading:
Technical cooling

svetljotod

Hi, is it normal when i m in road down without accelerate, my gauge to the temperature engine to go into the line before the middle where it's always except in the above case? And on this position how degree respond? 85 oC? The tine red line is where it goes my gauge in this case, in road down long without accelerate ! Stilo 1.6 16V
P.S. But When i accelerate when the gauge is on red thin line, only for 5-10 seconds , the gauge is gone to the middle where it must be!

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
If your engine is running cooler than normal when driving downhill with no load then your engine thermostat may be stuck open and need replacing.

All engines can run overcool in winter when it's very cold outside temperatures but in summer it shouldn't happen at all

Last edited:
Is it the problem, any ideas? I test before the gauge go on the middle, the hose which goes to the radiator is cold, when the gauge is on the middle, than the hose is warm!!

The engine thermostat will open at around 95C and only then send hot water to the radiator for cooling so it's normal to feel cool then hot at the top radiator hose when the thermostat opens.

Hold the radiator top hose as the engine warms up from cold, if you can feel a sudden rush of hot water as the engine gets up to 95C then you know your thermostat has just opened and is working. Whether it's opening at the right temperature is impossible to say without physically checking the temperature or using a scan tool to see the temperature of the engine

But if the thermostat was stuck open then the top hose would slowly rise in temperature from the onset and never really get that warm

Are you having problems with cabin heat?

Last edited:
The cabin heat is very good and hot, when i change the oil in garage FIAT, i saw on computer diagnostic, that the temperature of the motor is 78C, but it was only for the moment, and the motor was turn off before 5-6 minutes!

The fan of the radiator is starting when i drive in the city and the traffic is jam! I heard the fan!

That sounds all ok. The temp will be around 100C when first turned off

The fan of the radiator is starting when i drive in the city and the traffic is jam! I heard the fan!
That's what it's meant to do. Be worried if it doesn't turn on:)

Last edited:
that means, the temperature is go to normal, because one guys with stilo told me that when the thermostat don't work propertly, the engine can't warm etc.

yes but, when i travelled 300km out of town, the temperature outside was 15C! I started my klimatronic without compressor on 24C on two zone, and i noticed that after a few time, maybe 20-30minutes travel, the heat wasn't as hot as i started my travel, and after a few minutes was hoter, is it normal, i think that car has a thermometer that understands how warm is in a cabin and reduces heat in the interior????

But in short town trip, and on cold engine starting the heat is very good, i want to notice!! In the winter here in Bulgaria, i'm very content from the heat of the car without to turn on the compressor

If your using the heater due to cold weather you may find the temperature gauge fluctuates as your heater draws heat away from the engine to warm the cabin.

Cabin cold - heater on, drawing heat away from engine, the engine temp may drop.

Cabin hot - heater off, not drawing heat away from engine, the engine temp may rise.

Back