General cooling problems

Currently reading:
General cooling problems

Raph406

yesterday when i was taking a nice drive in the first warm weather of the season the tempature started rising very quickly so i pulled over at a gas station. I poped the hood and saw coolant leaking out of the bottom of the overflow tank i got a jug of water filled it and headed home. i then went to a guy i know with 3 Xes and he gave me a metal tank off of his fiat monster truck. i put this on filled it and opened the top of the radiator to let the air out. then when i started it and let it idle for awhile i noticed alot of white glue like substance dripping down. it looked like that maynanase like stuff when you see the coolant mixed with oil. i did'nt see where it came from any ideas what it is? Also did i add the coolant right? the car didn't overheat when i was driving it. sorry if that didn't make alot of since.

Why did you change the expansion tank? was that the problem? sounds like the whole system needs flushing and filling with new coolant, I did mine last week, took out radiator and flushed it, all new hoses, flushed pipes under car, removed drain on engine block, flushed that,topped with new coolant, cleaned auto choke housing etc etc, and all well now.(y)

Why did you change the expansion tank? was that the problem? sounds like the whole system needs flushing and filling with new coolant, I did mine last week, took out radiator and flushed it, all new hoses, flushed pipes under car, removed drain on engine block, flushed that,topped with new coolant, cleaned auto choke housing etc etc, and all well now.(y)

The expansion tank leaked when there was any kind of pressure or heat. i put in the metal one. the coolant is new so i don't think thats it. I might try that.

The mayonnaise looking stuff may be coming from your crankcase breather, but if its in the water? then it sounds like a head gasket.

it probly is from the crankcase breather, that system doesnt work at all. i was thinking that it could be the headgasket. i looked at the oil filter cap and the dipstick to check for mayonnaise, but the oil looked clean. what should i do about the breather system? someone said just too hook up a hose to both ends with a fiter inbetween. any other way to check for a headgasket? it doesn't overheat or get hot so i don't think its that.

Back