Technical Coolant

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant

you shouldnt really lose any coolant for a very long period of time!

the fact that the engine is at high rpm for a sustained period of time and losing coolant would indicate something along the lines of a leak.
could be radiator, head, waterpump (i had this first time i sealed it).

Best thing to do is put a bit of cardboard or something under your car (works best when we dont have this cr*p weather) and see if you notice any coolant on it after a bit of time. This is how i knew my waterpump was leaking

Sam

For a quicker disgnose on the issue, is invest in a pressure tester, do pressure test on the cooling system this will then show any leaks you may have.

If unable to get one, most garages will do this for a small fee.

As said you shouldn't be losing any coolant even driving at 80mph or above, level should remain the same throughout any speed.

Get the cooling systen pressure tested! Before you toast your engine...

Benny

It could be, don't count it out. But if your radiator cap is on tight then it shouldn't be an issue.

As benny has said however, a pressure tester would show up any leaks, and if the test is fine, then replacing the radiator cap would be my first thought. If you wanted to try this out first, halfords do the cap IIRC and it shouldn't be very expensive.

Hope this was helpful

Sam

IIRC = if I remember correctly

Benny

YES Benny , you DO remember correctly..!!

as stated buying a new cap from a dealer / halfords is money down the drain on an old punto..,

A leak of some sort would be my 1st port of call,

red / orange / or BLUE coolant in your system??

Blue = leaves furry / crusty marks around leaky areas - look for them,

esp. around the coolant hoses / radiator,

also check the engine oil filler cap for "mayo" ,
clean it out, then check ALL levels regularly - before every journey ( safer than AFTER..!! with risk of burns / scalding :eek:),

Charlie

Preasure test is the most efficient way of finding leaks, but be careful if doinf it yourself.

Don't over pressure the system!

Also, flushing the system can clean up areas crud,furry, etc where is blocking a leak.

Fixing the issue while its minor is better than forking out for a S/H engine and hassle of fitting it.

Benny

Yeah im still unsure if i caught my problem early enough.

Im losing about 500-750ml of coolant every 500 miles or so, but still being at college and working means i have no time.

Hopefully im going to do my head and valve clearences when i finish college, getting noisy engine but heyy its all fun and a learning curve

Let me know what yours turns out to be, would be interesting

Sam

So had a look around the engine and cant find any signs of a leak anywhere, not furry build up anywhere. But when I took the radiator cap off the seal in the cap wasn't seated properly. Could it be something stupid like that.

Btw my coolant is the OAT Red stuff :)

Back