General Considering getting back into a 500 but this time Abarth

Currently reading:
General Considering getting back into a 500 but this time Abarth

Considering getting back into a 500 but this time Abarth

Next year it will be time to retire the Bravo from daily duties and I am considering getting an Abarth 500

Will either be used or a new 595 Competizione

I heard the early ones are a bit fragile, is there a MY that all the niggles have been resolved?
Is it worth buying an essesse or a base model and modifying it?

I like black with red stripes and essesse titanium wheels but there is also something about the grey…

I heard the early ones are a bit fragile, is there a MY that all the niggles have been resolved?

You what? You think that Fiat have made improvements to the 500 Abarth during its production to make to make it more reliable? :ROFLMAO:

You are the Rob that's owned loads of Fiats right? :p

You what? You think that Fiat have made improvements to the 500 Abarth during its production to make to make it more reliable? :ROFLMAO:

You are the Rob that's owned loads of Fiats right? :p

yes and for example they did make improvements to the Cinq Sporting after the first year

i am not worried about it, just good to know if there are any changes (y)

yes and for example they did make improvements to the Cinq Sporting after the first year

i am not worried about it, just good to know if there are any changes (y)

That must have been back when they gave a s**t :D

Just make sure you don't get Draigflag's one :cool::rolleyes::eek:

indeed, i guess that was the reason for my negative thoughts...
he had half the car replaced didn't he!?
Yeah, but he thrashed the crap out of it. There's a thread on another forum where he sprays WD40 on his seized rear calipers. Idiot.

Next year it will be time to retire the Bravo from daily duties and I am considering getting an Abarth 500

I like black with red stripes and essesse titanium wheels but there is also something about the grey…

Rob, it will good to see you back in a 500. (y)

Just one caveat with the competizione and that is it will not come with the esseesse wheels as standard, even though they are in all the publicity photos. Neither will you be able to specify them as an upgrade. They will only be available new at mega money or otherwise some from ebay or similar, but they are so nice you rarely see them about.

The 595 IIRC still has the IHI turbo.
After having a black F500 paintwork needs to be perfect otherwise it annoys the hell out you.
Limited choice in colours but after the Alfa red paint chipping so much on the OHs MiTo for me it cuts out the Red.
Still see the BNW A500 esseesse with the chequered roof and the side stripes and still think it was my favourite (pity the oil wasn't changed). Also like the stealth black look if you don't want to draw attention to yourself.;)
The grey might be the best choice with it being the free choice now the BNW might become the more sought after colour.

The 595 IIRC still has the IHI turbo.
After having a black F500 paintwork needs to be perfect otherwise it annoys the hell out you.
Limited choice in colours but after the Alfa red paint chipping so much on the OHs MiTo for me it cuts out the Red.
Still see the BNW A500 esseesse with the chequered roof and the side stripes and still think it was my favourite (pity the oil wasn't changed). Also like the stealth black look if you don't want to draw attention to yourself.;)
The grey might be the best choice with it being the free choice now the BNW might become the more sought after colour.

Interesting thoughts on colours there. I definitely agree, I'd go for white :) again I'm reminded of the Uno Turbo all those years ago, which came in red (baaaaad idea unless you like matt orange with a little brown), black (scratch-and-lose), metallic teal blue or metallic grass green (good if you wanted it to look like a 70S, I guess) - or white, which is the most practical colour long term - I know this from ten years' experience, many touch-ups along the way...

-Alex

thanks for the feedback guys (y)

looks like i will consider a 2010 model black essesse
you can get a 20k mile example for £10k

or i might just get another Bravo T-Jet Sport 150 in most ways it is a better car

thanks for the feedback guys (y)

looks like i will consider a 2010 model black essesse
you can get a 20k mile example for £10k

or i might just get another Bravo T-Jet Sport 150 in most ways it is a better car

10K is good price for a 2010 esseesse. In June 2011 13K was the going price.
This one on paper seemed a great choice but it had no evidence of having had a service. Disappointed with the lack of headroom with the sunroof particularly for the passenger and would have liked the red leather.
https://www.fiatforum.com/abarth-500/275105-cheap-a500-does-exist.html?p=2807031
This one did it for me and for some reason didn't have the hard ride of an esseesse. Again no oil change.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/274198-little-thump-today-pearlescent-5.html?p=2918766

Your biggest challenge will be getting an esseesse with 6K oil changes.

Also the Bravo & the MiTo have the more muscular VL36 turbo which doesn't run out of puff as quickly. Technically it has the questionable stronger gearbox. But whoever say that the sensible choice was the most fun.

why does oil need changed at 6k thats daft, it isnt a mitsi evo ffs!?

10K is good price for a 2010 esseesse. In June 2011 13K was the going price.
This one on paper seemed a great choice but it had no evidence of having had a service. Disappointed with the lack of headroom with the sunroof particularly for the passenger and would have liked the red leather.
https://www.fiatforum.com/abarth-500/275105-cheap-a500-does-exist.html?p=2807031
This one did it for me and for some reason didn't have the hard ride of an esseesse. Again no oil change.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/274198-little-thump-today-pearlescent-5.html?p=2918766

Your biggest challenge will be getting an esseesse with 6K oil changes.

Also the Bravo & the MiTo have the more muscular VL36 turbo which doesn't run out of puff as quickly. Technically it has the questionable stronger gearbox. But whoever say that the sensible choice was the most fun.

why does oil need changed at 6k thats daft, it isnt a mitsi evo ffs!?
Service interval from the A500 was 12k reduced to 9K.
Esseesse was 9k reduced to 6K.
Originally in the standard A500 you could use 5w40 and then both 'had to' to use 10w50 which IIRC only came in 2L sizes for the Abarth spec oil.
The turbo gets a hard time when it's boosted to 1.2 bar and is operating outside it"s comfort zone - hence the more regular oil changes.
If you can get one that's been serviced at 9K or preferably at least once a year if it"s been used as a second car with low mileage you would be doing well. It will pay dividents in about 3 years time.

Originally in the standard A500 you could use 5w40 and then both 'had to' to use 10w50 which IIRC only came in 2L sizes for the Abarth spec oil.
The turbo gets a hard time when it's boosted to 1.2 bar and is operating outside it"s comfort zone - hence the more regular oil changes.
If you can get one that's been serviced at 9K or preferably at least once a year if it"s been used as a second car with low mileage you would be doing well. It will pay dividents in about 3 years time.

At launch the non SS was 18000 miles service intervals, we elected to keep the intervals but do oil at 9000, seems we were partially right. On lower mileage cars theres a time limit as well but cant remember what that is, I think it was 18000 or 2 years but Im probably wrong on that

Not sure its better but it certainly isnt as good looking. The Abarth has a presence, even at "Posh" venues it is respected, even some on that other forum we frequent liker them & we all know what they run for first cars :D

On the road people are nice to you, they let you out at junctions, if you arent over agresive they will often let you pass, its wierd

It will also retain value better

Rob, It has to be an Abarth, you know it makes sense (y)(y)(y)

Rob me and my dad both have A500's one is a 2010 and one a 2011.

The only difference is my dads has the newer type blue and me system and works a little better.

The cars are exactly the same! I have a Campovolo grey (just because of the name)
He has a naked white one, it looks like a storm trooper! (he has a glass roof)

They have both had little niggles but apart from that they have been fun all the way!

They seem to use things like tyres brakes etc a little quicker than a regular car, but I guess its the way you drive it!(y)

I just had a slack 1/2 hour at my desk and this thread inspired me to have a look at the Abarth website (which I don't look at very often). I have to say I like the new models and colours - Campovolo used to be my favourite but I think that the Legends Blue might just be even better.

Hoping that my lottery numbers come up at the weekend as I've just specced a really nice 595 Turismo in Legends Blue with white wheels, white mirrors, a white checkered roof and the natural leather interior.... I just need the £18K+ now :cool:

At launch the non SS was 18000 miles service intervals, we elected to keep the intervals but do oil at 9000, seems we were partially right. On lower mileage cars theres a time limit as well but cant remember what that is, I think it was 18000 or 2 years but Im probably wrong on that

There's a service interval of 18K but an oil change is done earlier which was originally 12k and then reduced to 9K on the standard A500 on the revised schedule. The esseesse model may have always been 6K and if you're doing low mileage (less than 6k p.a.) a low mileage service (oil change) is done which is the same for ALL 500 models.
http://www.abarthforum.co.uk/500-abarth/service-intervals-8966/

So in summary the service intervals don't appear to have changed but the oil service intervals have.

Hopefully Tony will correct me if I'm wrong on that. :D

still nonsense when the service interval and oil change on Bravo tjet150 is 18k

Back