Ducato Connection Failed !!!

Currently reading:
Ducato Connection Failed !!!

Roadtoad

When scanning for available modules on my 2008 Fiat Ducato Autotrail 3.0 ltr with comfortmatic gearbox, I get the msg failed to connect to gearbox module "check" can lines and connections. Ive "checked" the wires where they are actually visible and the connections sprayed with contact spray etc but no joy and even replaced the gearbox module itself. Ive performed the proxi alignment procedure and get success in all modules except the gearbox. In the detailed analysis section it says that the engine module cant connect to the gearbox module. Could it be that the fault lies with the engine module not recognising the gearbox module rather than the gearbox module being at fault even though the module scan is picking up the engine module and not the gearbox module in the initial scan ? Or could it be that the replacement gearbox module is also faulty I bought it on ebay as being a new module but on delivery I could see it clearly wasnt a new module. The engine wont start, wont even turn over when key is turned. Batteries, earths check out ok other faults are the right hand lights and engine oil level sensor now which is a newer fault. The side lights apparently are controlled directly by the engine control module and not fused. Ive replaced the engine fuse box as this got water damaged due to Fiat having a drain hole with no drainage pipe, directly over the ecu and fusebox. Im really scratching my head with this one and would very much appreciate somebodys, anybodys, help in getting my broken down motorhome back on the road and away from the camp site Im stuck on near Selby N Yorks. Auto electricians simply dont want to know as soon as you mention the word "motorhome" and I cant get it onto a breakdown truck to get it to a workshop due to its size and weight plus if it went into any garage I would then be homeless as I live in it !!!

As I can see on the multiecuscan website, the gearbox (3rd line) does not require any adapters, only ELM or KKL cable:

1711232025381.png

KL - KKL/VagCom/OBDKey interface
ELM - ELM 327 v1.3+/OBDLink/OBDKey interface

The red adapter is not even necessary on the 2008 (pre-lifting) 3.0 Multijet Ducato:

A2 - ADAPTER CABLE 2 (red)

Whole list here:

Attachments

• 17112644483729141365650256424363.jpg
    17112644483729141365650256424363.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Thanks gv, the red cable serves to the best of my knowledge as the elm 327 interface. Named obd link sx.

At the Bottom of that MES supported vehicle list it details the function of each Coloured Adaptor

IT IS SELECTED Pins.. Others are NOT THERE 😉

Typical only connecting 50% of the pins

You need a standard ELM or KKL

Then "search for devices"

I suspect it won't "find" the gearbox in your current set-up 🤔

Ah OK well there are 8 cables in all in the package I ordered from Gendan ltd, 6 short ones and 2 long, one red and one black. I've been using the red one thus far and this brings up all the modules except the gearbox module. I've not been prompted by mes to attach any other cable so far and the black cable says vag on it which I assume refers to vw audi group ? I've read about the pins problem but thought this only applied if a vehicle didn't have obd ? Looks like alot more head scratching for me...

Well it so happens I also own a 2004 vw passat not that I should say anything about that on a fiat forum !. Maybe I should try my black cable on that see what that brings up.

Since the beginning with the Ducato (and before with an Alfa) I was using the KKL cable with success with a yellow adapter as far as I remember :) I bought the bluetooth ELM (ST1170?) just to be able to clear the errors while driving on my phone. And it became my main interface now.

The coloured adapters refer to the colour of plug that plugs into vehicle

There may be confusion here somewhere about ops use of "adaptor" the red cable is the obdlink sx interface and as gv says no adaptor is required. If the engine can be connected to we are almost cooking on gas. The problem is the connection to the gearbox. After checking for corossion squirting with electrical cleaner we need to dirty with a multimeter or scope and check power supplies and canhi canlo (do they exist)

There may be confusion here somewhere about ops use of "adaptor" the red cable is the obdlink sx interface and as gv says no adaptor is required. If the engine can be connected to we are almost cooking on gas. The problem is the connection to the gearbox. After checking for corossion squirting with electrical cleaner we need to dirty with a multimeter or scope and check power supplies and canhi canlo (do they exist)
Yes I think that's the problem the CAN. The body module (engine) has no comms with gearbox module. Having tried another module, unless this is also faulty there's still no recognition. I can find no broken wires or dodgy earth's however. I suspect the fault lies with the body module even though this reports back on mes. There are other small faults like the right hand sidelights which were the original fault before the engine failed to start. The sidelights on the X250 are not fused apparently running straight from the body module. Water got into fuse box and I wonder if this has spiked out the body module causing it not to recognise the gearbox module and the sidelights. Right hand brake light works but dim also. I will run another scan tomorrow using KL line and see if I can post some screenshots of any results thanks guys

The x250 is known to flood the electronics through the crappy plastic which is at the bottom of the windshield. And not only the electronics. Powersteering fluid, too :D The cap has a breething hole through which water gets inside. There was a special cap available from Peugeot or Citroen, then also introduced by FIAT.

I had severe misfiring both on methane and gas because the spark plugs and a set of injectors were submerged in water. There was even a campaign, they were changing the injector insulation (but my van was not covered) to prevent water getting there, but of course it was not resolving the cause of the problem, which is this crappy plastic. It has to be dismantled, cleaned, some people use an extra sealant, the plastic has to be then properly attached together and then to the van (preferably with new clips).

Then the hoses that are ment to evacuate water ar often blocked or broken :( This needs to be checked on a regular basis.

I use 'Plumbers Mait' or similar for sealing the scuttle etc from rainwater. Works well and non setting so you can dismantle it again if necessary.

Re scanning of modules. I know the gearbox module is missing should there also be the engine module ?

Attachments

• 20240309_151201.jpg
    20240309_151201.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
Back