Connecting an ipod touch to the USB

Currently reading:
Connecting an ipod touch to the USB

Brianmerc

Tried to do this but keep getting 'no media' message. The car is due in the garage in a couple of weeks so I'll ask them about it ..... unless anyone can offer any houghts on what's happening?

Thanks.

Is the ipod suitable for the headunit?

I mean, does it say in the headunit's manual it can be used in conjuction with said ipod touch?

The headunit is the standard Fiat Grande Punto installation. Can't find anything in the manual referring to the ipod touch but I'd have thought it would be compatible as the ipod is probably one of the most commonly used mp3 players (?)

yes but ipod touches are different from other ipods due to their programming. It may be that your grande punto (or the radio) was released before the ipod touch came out. Most after market head units come with a list of ipods they are compatible with, so it may be best to go shopping for a new one?

yes but ipod touches are different from other ipods due to their programming. It may be that your grande punto (or the radio) was released before the ipod touch came out. Most after market head units come with a list of ipods they are compatible with, so it may be best to go shopping for a new one?

Good point! It's a 2008 Grande Punto. I've just re-read the manual and it mentions nothing aboutconnecting MP3 players but only mentions connecting USB memory devices. Does this mean that you can't connect an ipod or similar but need to put the music on a memory stick?

I'm confused though, I thought it worked by connecting the MP3 player (i.e. ipod) via the USB?

erm, when it says usb memory devices, i think it means USB mass storage devices (so yeah, like a memory stick). Im not too sure of it though, but iPods are not ran as mass storage devices.

does it have an auxillary port? it should work fine from that, but you would have to control music from the ipod

Yeah as far as i am aware for non mass media storage devices the HU needs to have the correct firmware.
The ipod touch is not likely to be supported. When in the garage ask them if there is a firmware update. Im sure this has been covered in here or the B&M section, possibly GP. I think i remember somebody showing a link to firmware updated which can be transfered to the car via usb.

If all else fails then i mac do sell a patch box which tricks thinks into thinking your ipod is a lower gen.

I wish i could find the thing that apple sell that tricks the Head unit. It was only about £20. I have had a search but cant see anything lol.

Main Problem is that the Ipod touch and Iphone are running micro versions of snow leopard (the mac operating system). Unlike the ipod classic etc which can be picked up on your head unit by the correct wire. The car wont pick up your touch because it is in fact a small computer.
Fiat do have an option which you can get from the fiat store on there website which does allow you to connect a touch to your headunit however its pricy at about £80.
probably cheaper to buy a second hand ipod and the normal cable.

I really wish i could find the apple one it was brilliant and only £29. Ill have another look when i get 5. (that will be next year then lol)

All,

Thanks for your help and advice. Some good techy info and knowledge.

I loaded some songs onto a bog standard memory stick, plugged it in to the USB port and it worked (y).
I now know the difference between an ipod and a USB mass storage device ;) .

Think we'll stick with this .... unless volxstu or joshnathan comes up with something innovative.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Back