Technical compressor

Currently reading:
Technical compressor

coconut girl

Hi, I just bought a used fiat 500L I was pretty happy with the purchase, it's a 2014 turbo 1.4 and had 40,000 km on it. the only down side was that it was stored for sometime and it had a horrible musty smell. So I took it to my go to cashwash place and had a semi deep clean done to it, they do like a superfficial clean to the seats roof ect and then do a thing called ozone therapy. the times i was there before they used lamps to dry my car seats and the insides. this day they asked if i wanted to use the car heater....it was so random i said whatever is better. and they said the heater. sooooo. me making dumb desision, after leaving i left with no ac since i wanted to air out the car of the cleaning stuff they use and got home later and went out put the ac and the car started to not work properly. the coolant was boiling and steam was coming out of the it. stopped at a gas station and he said the fan is not working..so i asuumed the fan was the problem. took it to get checked turns out its the compressor clutch. soooo my question is....could having the car heater on for about an hour and then ac for another for the other treatment cause damage to the compressor. if so how so. i think the belt is stuck so what would be the result of that. would it be the cause of the damage or is it something that triggered it to get worse ? i am opening a customer case to them I want to see how i can back my self properly. anyways...what do you think got broke? how much would it cost to fix? any ideas has this happened to anyone before.? thanks in advance. fyi i live in a hot country. and i was also wondering a bit about the fan in a fiats, they seem to not turn on until you turn your ac on. is this a thing?

Hi, I just bought a used fiat 500L I was pretty happy with the purchase, it's a 2014 turbo 1.4 and had 40,000 km on it. the only down side was that it was stored for sometime and it had a horrible musty smell. So I took it to my go to cashwash place and had a semi deep clean done to it, they do like a superfficial clean to the seats roof ect and then do a thing called ozone therapy. the times i was there before they used lamps to dry my car seats and the insides. this day they asked if i wanted to use the car heater....it was so random i said whatever is better. and they said the heater. sooooo. me making dumb desision, after leaving i left with no ac since i wanted to air out the car of the cleaning stuff they use and got home later and went out put the ac and the car started to not work properly. the coolant was boiling and steam was coming out of the it. stopped at a gas station and he said the fan is not working..so i asuumed the fan was the problem. took it to get checked turns out its the compressor clutch. soooo my question is....could having the car heater on for about an hour and then ac for another for the other treatment cause damage to the compressor. if so how so. i think the belt is stuck so what would be the result of that. would it be the cause of the damage or is it something that triggered it to get worse ? i am opening a customer case to them I want to see how i can back my self properly. anyways...what do you think got broke? how much would it cost to fix? any ideas has this happened to anyone before.? thanks in advance. fyi i live in a hot country. and i was also wondering a bit about the fan in a fiats, they seem to not turn on until you turn your ac on. is this a thing?
I don't know about your specific model, but leaving an engine running for a length of time unattended it can easily overheat and damage the engine/head gasket etc. especially with the aircon on in hot weather, as car not driving along with cooler air blowing through radiator to control temperature.
Many makes of car when aircon on operate a cooling fan to compensate for the extra load causing temperature to rise. Some cars have two fans with speed of fans ecu controlled.
Along with any damage to engine I would have the aircon fully checked for leaks etc. as if aircon making car smelly inside it can be caused by stale bacteria known to cause legionnaires disease which can be fatal.
Even if a cars aircon works perfectly it is good advise to have it serviced every two years along with what is known as an aircon bomb, basically an aerosol released in the car which if you follow the instructions is meant to kill the bacteria.
A quick internet search will explain better.

I don't know about your specific model, but leaving an engine running for a length of time unattended it can easily overheat and damage the engine/head gasket etc. especially with the aircon on in hot weather, as car not driving along with cooler air blowing through radiator to control temperature.
Many makes of car when aircon on operate a cooling fan to compensate for the extra load causing temperature to rise. Some cars have two fans with speed of fans ecu controlled.
Along with any damage to engine I would have the aircon fully checked for leaks etc. as if aircon making car smelly inside it can be caused by stale bacteria known to cause legionnaires disease which can be fatal.
Even if a cars aircon works perfectly it is good advise to have it serviced every two years along with what is known as an aircon bomb, basically an aerosol released in the car which if you follow the instructions is meant to kill the bacteria.
A quick internet search will explain better.
yes, i have a fiat 500L 2014 turbo... i'm changing the ac filter, it was quite dirty and i will look into all the ac bomb but i currently can have the car running with the ac on, the car turns off.. the damage since i left the shop was i think the belt buckling from the compressor. not sure what more damage has been done. hopefully i can repair something instead of buy a new compressor.

Last edited:
yes, i have a fiat 500L 2014 turbo... i'm changing the ac filter, it was quite dirty and i will look into all the ac bomb but i currently can have the car running with the ac on, the car turns off.. the damage since i left the shop was i think the belt buckling from the compressor. not sure what more damage has been done. hopefully i can repair something instead of buy a new compressor.
I assume you mean the pollen filter, always a good idea to change regularly , however when using aircon, controls are set to recycle the air inside the car and not use filtered air from outside.
Belt buckling, sorry I don't understand , do you mean the aircon pump/compressor had seized and the drive belt failed.
Initially you spoke of coolant boiling and steam.
On your model does the compressor belt also drive the engine water pump, in which case if it failed the engine would quickly overheat and cause damage?

Back