Compression failure.

Currently reading:
Compression failure.

Update - but not a soution.

Brought the top to "Trondheim Cylinder/Piston and Engine Sercive" (slightly translated) who could tell me there were nothing mecahnically wrong. The manifolds were still on, but the top seemed flat. The valves and cam looked ok. The valves were a bit worn, but it was a waste of money to change them when the engine had run only 120.000 km.

The engine block itself had no scratches in the piston "hole" and no dents could be felt with the finger. The piston rings looks ok from the top - I have no idea how they will look if they are worn without removing the piston, which I'm not planning.

So I will now change the manifold gaskets and the head gasket which arrived at Fiat today. Hope it won't be tricky to get the parts back on track.

I will post updates when everything is in place. Will it start???

Morten.

gas lowered on abarth wheels. upgraded interior and visuals. audio through phoenix gold and BLOWN kenwood.

projects: air in and out.

Honey that ain't no pistol - that's my LOVE GUN.

THE UNO IS STILL DEAD!

It's now up and running. Some strange smoke and noise occured during initial startup, but are gone now. Some bubbles in the coolant-tank was also present. The car warms up fast and stays at about 90 degrees. Since the distributor is changed I guess the timing is a bit off - it doesnt accelerate as good as before.

I've bought a stroboscope, but have no idea how it works. I've figured the connector should be on plug 1. What is plug 1? And I've seen some marks on the timing belt cover. When do I know the timing is correct? The handbook for the strobe says I have to unplug the vacuum advance and plug it shut. Is this correct?

Morten.

gas lowered on abarth wheels. upgraded interior and visuals. audio through phoenix gold and BLOWN kenwood.

THE UNO IS STILL DEAD!

If the coolant is still bubbling it means the gasket is not on right or a cracked block;). Check the manual for correct timming, plug one is usually the one furthest from the back of engine(the transmission side is the back, so plug one will be on accessory side:D) then its just a case of lining up the marks.:p

The coolant has now stabilized and I've been on a hell of a rally ride in some insane norwegain mountain roads.

But still I don't get the timing thing. Plug one is now found - thanks smokeme. Where can I find the correct timing? In what manual. I don't have a manual other than Haynes' Uno book. And what do you mean by lining up marks? What difference will the marks do when the engine is running anyway?

I just don't get it. I always ask too much if I don't get it. It's more important I do it right than pretend I understand...

Morten.

I went to Fiat and let them do it. Really nice people working there. They could make me an appointment in two weeks, but I told them I was driving 1000 km (600 miles) tomorrow, so they managed to squeeze me in - they wouldn't let me go without checking it. Timing adjusted and car goes very well now.

So I'm off on holiday in a few hours. Just some sleep first.

Have a nice week people, and thank you very much for all help regarding my engine trouble. It's now also equipped with cold air feed and K&N filters. 3rd gear has a significant higher torque now.

Morten.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back