Technical Combine new stereo with existing head unit

Currently reading:
Technical Combine new stereo with existing head unit

Hoggleboggle

I was wondering if the following was even possible:
1. dismantle the fiat head unit and strip it down to the bare case, disconnecting speaker connections & antenna.
2. find an empty space behind the dash to stick this paired down box.
3. Connect it to a new after market head unit as AUX device.
4. wire speakers and antenna to new unit.

In theory this should allow you to maintain the functionality of Blue & me along with all the steering wheel controls whilst also adding a head unit that is actually useful. Sure you loose the ability to control the CD & volume from the steering wheel and auto mute for incoming calls would be missing as well, but I could live with that.

Or you could just buy a head unit with bluetooth and that has connectivity to the steering wheel buttons..

It would be very difficult.

How would you turn the 2nd head unit on?
How will you mount it?
How will you change track/volume?

It would be far easier to buy a 4 channel amp and run this between the current head unit and speakers. Just make sure you use the correct high level inputs. You will then be able to run more powerful speakers and still have blue & me and steering wheel controls.

You really wont gain much though. The one part thats make the biggest difference to sound quality in any system is the head unit.

For example: A good head unit with cheap speakers will sound good. but an average quality head unit with the best speakers in the world will still sound average.

Last edited:
Basically the reasons for doing this are that I would like to keep the voice recognition & dialing aspect of the Blue & Me along with the USB port but be able to use a much better head unit that offers things like audio jack input, the ability to show artist & song and to scroll through them with ease, the ability to recognize CD text to show the song names etc, better CD player in general and a display, the ability to upgrade to DAB radio and so many other things that the basic fiat head unit is missing. I use the Blue&Me system every time I drive, but the only time I even touch the head unit is to remove / insert a CD. Even the display is useless as all it shows is that I am using Blue & Me.
Hope that rambling answer mad some sense :)

Basically the reasons for doing this are that I would like to keep the voice recognition & dialing aspect of the Blue & Me along with the USB port but be able to use a much better head unit that offers things like audio jack input, the ability to show artist & song and to scroll through them with ease, the ability to recognize CD text to show the song names etc, better CD player in general and a display, the ability to upgrade to DAB radio and so many other things that the basic fiat head unit is missing. I use the Blue&Me system every time I drive, but the only time I even touch the head unit is to remove / insert a CD. Even the display is useless as all it shows is that I am using Blue & Me.
Hope that rambling answer mad some sense :)

You appear to what better display features which funnily enough is a criticism of the B&Me as opposed to better sound.
Would you consider using an iphone stuck to dash to show the track details. This could be done via an AUX cable (if you have one) or through a USB cable (you might need an iphone adapter if pre 2011). I haven't done either of the 2 above so I'm not sure of the pros & cons or the limitations.
The DAB radio can be done on the iphone and you could play this back if you had a AUX input which is on the newer B&Me.
CDs in this 'day and age' are the equivalent of LPs and don't really have a place in a car. Quite a few manufactures are dropping the CD player.

I have looked into this as well and this is the best I could do was buy last years top of the range single din jvc Head Unit which gave me bluetooth and DAB (this years one is missing something that allows better integration) and handsfree kit, an Alpine amp which could take high level inputs, a powered sub to go under the passenger seat (alpine again), replace all the speakers.

wins:Better HU, iphone handsfree connectivity, dab, usb port (on the front or back of the HU), sub-woofer, better speakers, steering wheel controls, tom tom integration (muting stereo etc)

loses:blue and me - specifically tom tom blue and me bits (eco drive and media player options), eco drive, usb and aux port below the gear change, radio display in the middle of the speedo. blue and me voice.

The ice company that was doing the work said they needed to buy a few cables to get the steering wheel and tomtom to work but the rest is standard.

I hasten to add that I didnt go for this complete setup because I didnt want to lose the tom tom blue and me integration which is an excellent controller for the media player or the eco drive or blue and me voice.

I agree that if the HU is crap the best speakers in the world are not going to make it sound better (in fact it will probably highlight how bad it is) but a decent set of speakers/crossovers and amp will make a lot of difference but of course will only sound as good as the source.

I have looked into this as well and this is the best I could do was buy last years top of the range single din jvc Head Unit which gave me bluetooth and DAB (this years one is missing something that allows better integration) and handsfree kit, an Alpine amp which could take high level inputs, a powered sub to go under the passenger seat (alpine again), replace all the speakers.

wins:Better HU, iphone handsfree connectivity, dab, usb port (on the front or back of the HU), sub-woofer, better speakers, steering wheel controls, tom tom integration (muting stereo etc)

loses:blue and me - specifically tom tom blue and me bits (eco drive and media player options), eco drive, usb and aux port below the gear change, radio display in the middle of the speedo. blue and me voice.

The ice company that was doing the work said they needed to buy a few cables to get the steering wheel and tomtom to work but the rest is standard.

I hasten to add that I didnt go for this complete setup because I didnt want to lose the tom tom blue and me integration which is an excellent controller for the media player or the eco drive or blue and me voice.

I agree that if the HU is crap the best speakers in the world are not going to make it sound better (in fact it will probably highlight how bad it is) but a decent set of speakers/crossovers and amp will make a lot of difference but of course will only sound as good as the source.

Does your TA have the interscope - I remember when you were ordering there was some issue with this option. It was only when I saw the old 911 in your photo gallery - it 'all come back to me'.

Does your TA have the interscope - I remember when you were ordering there was some issue with this option. It was only when I saw the old 911 in your photo gallery - it 'all come back to me'.

good memory!!....(better than mine!) no my TA doesnt have the interscope but then again I dont think there was ever a problem of ordering it, or not for long anyway even though I have a copy of the fiat newsletter. That doesnt bother me as this friday its going for the install of amp (receiving high level outputs from the standard fiat HU), powered sub under passenger seat and upgrade of all speakers including crossovers. That means I keep all the blue and me bits, everything looks standard from the inside and when I am happy to lose blue and me I will upgrade the HU and get a better DAB unit than the JVC in the future

Back