General Colours

Currently reading:
General Colours

gar074

Prominent member
I see that Rumba Red has disappeared from the website configurator and been replaced by Pasodoble Red, which is described as a "special" solid and costs an extra £235 :( :(

Is this just another cynical Fiat marketing ploy, or is there any reason why a solid colour should cost more? Has anyone seen this colour in the flesh? I always liked the "old" red colour, particularly on the 100hp - it seems to suit the "pint-sized hooligan" image.;)

Also, the old metallic silver colour has been replaced by something called Breakbeat Grey (602) which looks like silver in the hard-copy brochure but shows up as much darker on the configurator. Has anyone seen that one in the flesh? Is it just silver by another name?:confused:

One of these days I'll get around to ordering one of these, but every time I get close to decision-time they seem to change the spec!! (Mr Sensible says get a MJ to keep down running costs, but I tried one and I don't think I could live with the high driving position or the way it scrubs its tyres under hard cornering; but Mr Mid-Life-Crisis says What the Hell? the 100hp is still pretty sensible, even if the mpg isn't much better than my Barchetta!)

Never go by colours on a computer, they'll look different on every one, but particularly never go by a configurator as I've never seen one that can show a real colour regardless of manfacturer. They all work by starting with a grayscale picture of the car and then try to add colour as an overlay, never works!

In fact brochures are often shot with a neutral (grey) colour car and then the other colours are applied on screen but they spend far longer trying to match the colours with those! In the same way they don't shoot left AND right hand drive cars.

The colour charts in brochures are very rarely paint and certainly on a mass market brochure there is only so much you can do with four colour inks, a drop of silver for metallics and a varnish.

Only option is to hunt out the real thing, dealers should have 'real' paint samples if not a complete car.

I see that Rumba Red has disappeared from the website configurator and been replaced by Pasodoble Red, which is described as a "special" solid and costs an extra £235 :( :()

Rumba Red was also "special" and also cost £235. There is a growing tendency now for car makers to treat red as a "special" extra cost colour. Once upon a time the only extra-costs finishes were metallics and pearls. Then some car makers began to charge extra for black. And now for red too... I'm sure this is a purely cynical move - it cannot cost Fiat - or any other manufacturer - two hundred quid more to paint their cars solid red than, say, say solid blue. But they all know that there is more demand for red and so there's a chance to increase the takings...

In spite of this I coughed up the dosh for rumba red. Because I think that genuinely small cars like the Panda look best in bold primary colours. As for the Fiat configurator, it is better than the old one (which actually got some spec options wrong), but colour reproduction on a computer is always very very approximate. B1gIan is right: you need to see the actual colour on a car or at least on real paint sample before making a judgement.

Then some car makers began to charge extra for black.

This was because flat black paint was very soft and didn't last well so they started putting a laquer coat on it as per metallics and was therefore genuinely more expensive to produce.

hello, this is my first post in the panda forum.
when i was ordering mine (1.2 4x4 climbing) i was really torn between samba orange and cumbia beige, then i saw in the showroom an orange doblio van and that helped. there was no other way to get an accurate idea of how it looked, the print material was rubbish.. after it was ordered i had many sleepless nights thinking about how it would look, and if the beige would suit it more in a military kind of way..
now that i had it for a month i have to say orange suits it, it looks like some kind of a concept car....

I know that there are many contributors to this forum who really like the pastel colours on the Panda, but I'd like to see it in a wider range of bold solid colours - like a really vibrant yellow or green, or even that funky caribbean orange that's available on the Grande Puntos (y) (yes I know you could buy an Alessi which is half-orange, but the colour combination on that model really is an acquired taste - those white bumpers and wheel trims:yuck: - sorry if I've offended any Alessi owners out there - it's a personal thing!!).

I know that there are many contributors to this forum who really like the pastel colours on the Panda, but I'd like to see it in a wider range of bold solid colours - like a really vibrant yellow or green, or even that funky caribbean orange that's available on the Grande Puntos (y) (yes I know you could buy an Alessi which is half-orange, but the colour combination on that model really is an acquired taste - those white bumpers and wheel trims:yuck: - sorry if I've offended any Alessi owners out there - it's a personal thing!!).

i agree, but will they add more colours in the future? the solid orange colour i saw on some 4x4 cross models,even maybe a nice military green for the 4x4s would be great- dont get me wrong i am not a military nut, but i think it would suit it

sorry if I've offended any Alessi owners out there

Is there any????????

I've only ever seen one Orange one out on the road.They are quite funky but not a car for the shy retiring types:D

Back