Styling colour coding bumpers

Currently reading:
Styling colour coding bumpers

hi all,

im new to the forum,from dublin

i have a black mk1 55sx with matt finish bumpers.is it possible to prime and spray these black? everything in my head says it isnt but i thought i may aswell ask. also does anyone know of somewhere on the net where i could get some decent seat covers?im lookin for something like black ones with a silver or grey trim to match my silver centre console and door handle surrounds.

anyone else from ireland on here? havnt spotted one yet!

I've sprayed my rear plastic bumper black to match the car. I've been using Autoglym Bumper Care on the front. I can't really spot a difference between the two bumpers other than when left for a few weeks, as the front fades, the rear doesn't.

The actual colour itself isn't the same as the black paintwork on the car itself, if you want proper colour matching bumpers probably best off buying some from scrapyard that match. I sanded the rear bumper, primered and used Halfords Fiat black spray paint, isn't anywhere near the same darkness.

yeh i figured it prob wouldnt give a very good finish.
i suppose i should have a look round some car-breakers for a set but i reckon itd be hard to find some that arent cracked or damaged.
i should probably just get some from a dealership.

cheers for the input.

cash_123 said:
hi all,

im new to the forum,from dublin

i have a black mk1 55sx with matt finish bumpers.is it possible to prime and spray these black? everything in my head says it isnt but i thought i may aswell ask. also does anyone know of somewhere on the net where i could get some decent seat covers?im lookin for something like black ones with a silver or grey trim to match my silver centre console and door handle surrounds.

anyone else from ireland on here? havnt spotted one yet!

No problem if you get the right colour black have had all my trims colour coded with no problem

Steve

cash_123 said:
also does anyone know of somewhere on the net where i could get some decent seat covers?im lookin for something like black ones with a silver or grey trim to match my silver centre console and door handle surrounds.
I've got these in my punto. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-DRAGON-CA...994554591QQcategoryZ72223QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I kno it doesn't match the colours you wanted but i think they look sweet in mine. If not these just have a look about ebay, that's what I did

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
cheers to both previous posts.

those covers are sweet but aint what im lookin for,thanks though.

how did you get the paint to take to the plastic?do you use a special primer?did the overall colous match the original paintwork?

can anyone verify that by sandpapering, prime painting, and halfords fiat black paint does the job and lasts? (no paint peeling off or fading colour) ?

BTW dave, i had a dog named binqui :p

I'd go over the bumpers with a thin layer of filler to get the bumps out first. It could be done with sanding but i'm lazy. I plan to get my bumpers colour coded, but it all takes time and money. And I want to get some seperate bumpers to do the job because I need my car...

cinqysxmk2 said:
I'd go over the bumpers with a thin layer of filler to get the bumps out first. It could be done with sanding but i'm lazy.

Use plastic primer filler then ;)

Back