General Coils & Injectors

Currently reading:
General Coils & Injectors

hebby

I am after a new coil for my 2001 20V Marea, I believe it is a a Mk2 model despite having the red key - the hand book states it has engine code 185.

Any ideas where the best place is to source such an item? I potentially may require a new injector...........again any help would be appreciated.

Ta!

use a scrapyard. any mk2 2.0 20v will do, including a bravo hgt, or even a non-turbo coupe. i'm not sure if the mk1 coils are the same.

each spark plug has a coil on top, so I assume you've tested all 5 of your coils using a multimeter and identified a suspect coil? if you havent, i would check them carefully before assuming one is a problem.

btw mk1 and mk2 use fiat code system 1 (red key). i've heard that some of the very last mareas were moved on to system 2 (only 2 blue keys), but i have never seen one myself.

I had just bought the car which had patchy service history - driving it home it at times felt a bit lumpy and the injector/ignition light came on - before going off.

Day later light is on all the time and it was a bit rough on tickover - as I was replacing ancillaries on it I bought new sparks for it; when I removed them all were black but when I removed plug from Cylinder No 1 (ie next to cambelt) there was liquid in there and the plug looked rusty. Not sure whether it was petrol or water as it disapeared quickly when I took plug out.

New plugs haven't made a difference yet - so I have to assume it is the coil which I believe are prone to failure.

Presently its' in the garage having cambelt and water pump done!

measure the resistance on each coil across its 2 pins where the wiring connector goes, that will tell you if one is faulty (resistance noticably different)

i've never seen a rusty plug before. i'd consider a compression test.

Back