Technical Coils, Coils, Coils!!

Currently reading:
Technical Coils, Coils, Coils!!

Tazzer8

Something just happened with my wifes Stilo Active 3dr which I bought her for Christmas two years ago and we thought we would share it in case anyone else is having the same problem....

Last year she lost power, engine fault lights came on. Luckily she was near Piccadily Motors in Ripon (our local dealer). They disgnosed one of the four coils had gone and changed it, having to re-map the engine after replacement. About 6 months later - another coil went. This time she was driving faster and her rapid deacceleration almost saw a truck smash in to the back of her - no joke.

When Piccadiliy were changing it they said Fiat UK were aware of Coil problems but were NOT going to change them until they broke! :bang: So.....they admit the problem is theirs and exists but would rather see people get smashed up the ass by trucks before changing them. I wonder of getting sued for corporate manslaughter would be any cheaper than changing them?

Anyway. two coils down and two to go!!....that is...until last week. The 3rd one went, in similar circumstances and yes, almost another accident. So. I started laying the law down with the dealer and said I wanted the remaining two changed (the now broken one and the last one). They said Fiat have to authorise so i got the number and rang them.. After pushing VERY hard I got them to authorise it - but only by suggesting that if my wife had an accident I would sue with no question.

So.....if you have had a coil, or two....or even three go on you take a leaf from our book and kick ass!!

Good luck,

I think we all expect one to go, but not three....

I had one of mine go a few good months ago, and was replaced. Any Stilo owner on this forum SHOULD know to replace them with the Champion coils, available from your friendly local dealer for about £35 - I should really go out and buy 4 new ones before it is too late; I can't really see my dealer forking out now, unfortunately.

Shows the difference in manufacturers - when I worked for Seat, they (VAG) admitted there was a fault with coils on all 1.8 t engines, and when vehicles came in for service/repair they had to be checked and all 4 replaced if needed to prevent breakdown before it happened - come on FIAT (n) .

The problem are the sagem coils but it is not a fault as such.Some give no problems but others do so might of been a bad batch like the problems Ford & Peigeot where having with their coils,most techs never even bothered with diagnostic it was simply change coil(s)& back out the workshop they were that bad.Quite often I see stilos with the odd champion coil & rest sagem & there seems to be no pattern to it but they seem to go after 2-4years.If your coil goes them renew with champion simple as that.

Tazzer8 said:
When Piccadiliy were changing it they said Fiat UK were aware of Coil problems but were NOT going to change them until they broke! :bang: So.....they admit the problem is theirs and exists but would rather see people get smashed up the ass by trucks before changing them. I wonder of getting sued for corporate manslaughter would be any cheaper than changing them?

So.....if you have had a coil, or two....or even three go on you take a leaf from our book and kick ass!!

Good luck,

Nice that someone comes on the forum and is sharing a thought rather than asking for the problem to be solved.

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately this is one thing manufacturers do today. In many warranty issues the bean counters coming in and work out which of the options is the least costly one. The cheapest solution in their opinion is what your wife experienced. Unfortunately before your wife or anyone else deosn't suffer an accident, the manufacturer is not forced to recall the cars because a coil failure is not a safety issue with the present understanding.

Back