Technical Code reading / clearing - West Midlands

Currently reading:
Technical Code reading / clearing - West Midlands

Hi,

I've seen a few people on here with code reading machines who seem happy to help fellow Fiat owners out doing code readings.

I had my pre-tensioner go off after a collision, have replaced the pre-tensioners and belts but still have the airbag light on the dash. Is this because a code needs clearing? If so, is there anyone in the West Midlands that could help with this?

The ECU,s can be sent away for reset/or repair! the alternative is to fit a used replacement one! however it would still need coding to the car via a proxy alignment done via mes! depends what happens when you first try to reset it! might work! which is good ! but if you get the "cannot connect to the ECU"message then it might need replacing!.
I assume that prior to the "little misshap" the system was functioning ok with no warning lights up?, from your original post i take it that its just the pretensioners that went off and no airbags have been deployed?? if you do need to fit new airbag modules they do have to be coded to the bcm by proxy alignment so the system recognises them! and as you get warnings/error codes if the seatbelt pre-tensioners have deployed/are faulty the i assume its the same for them but if im wrong someone will no doubt be along shortly to correct me!
all in all a fiddly and annoying amount of work and hassle for you to deal with! hope the rest of the cars not been damaged in the "impact" and you can get this sorted with minimal fuss!

The srs system ecu detected an impact and fired one of its restraint systems(seat belt pretensioner)

The srs ecu now contains crash data that needs to be erased in order to turn the airbag light off.

You can't reset crash data in MES it has to be done another way. I usually send mine away. If it's any airbag codes, they can be cleared but if it's crash data it can't. Things like seatbelts, pre tensioners although will store codes will not leave your airbag light illuminated. Things like drivers airbag, dash airbag etc need to be reset to turn the light off once replaced. If you've only replaced belt and pre tensioner, then it sounds like you have crash data. MES will tell you if it does.

Thank you everyone for the replies, it's very appreciated and I'm always happy to learn more about my little car.

No airbags were deployed in the collision. The pre-tensioners went off and I had an error message "fuel cutoff unavailable" which I cleared with an indicator sequence.

The only other error message I sometimes get is related to my daytime running lights, but I know that is because of a loose wire which I have yet to track down.

Thank you everyone for the replies, it's very appreciated and I'm always happy to learn more about my little car.

No airbags were deployed in the collision. The pre-tensioners went off and I had an error message "fuel cutoff unavailable" which I cleared with an indicator sequence.

The only other error message I sometimes get is related to my daytime running lights, but I know that is because of a loose wire which I have yet to track down.
In that case, then if you can find someone with multiecuscan near you, then it probably won't need sending off.

In that case, then if you can find someone with multiecuscan near you, then it probably won't need sending off.
That's a relief... hopefully! Thank you!! I'll see if I can find someone nearby.

Got it going in for a new dogbone mount, centre exhaust pipe and handbrake cable on Thursday, hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have her good as new!!

Not sure but dont think its a good idea to drive about with an ECU disconnected even if it runs it might give the can-bus system a fit!
Also id question how LEGAL insurance wise it is to run like that ie you have another crash and have no protection hence any claim disallowed!?

Not sure but dont think its a good idea to drive about with an ECU disconnected even if it runs it might give the can-bus system a fit!
Also id question how LEGAL insurance wise it is to run like that ie you have another crash and have no protection hence any claim disallowed!?
That's a good point. Would that also mean it's not legal at the moment? Or would the airbags still deploy at the moment even with the light on the dash?

To be honest i dont know but you know insurance companys any excuse not to pay! id be wary and keep your driving to a minimum or avoid until its been sorted!(sorry!).

Your airbag ECU is not active whilst there are lights up and potential crash data. You can drive it, it makes no difference if the ECU is not, but it would be questionable should anything happen whether you would be insured. You know what insurance companies are like, don't give them an excuse. The guy I use to clear them turns them round the same day, so it's three days and you have it back.

Back