Code reader…again

Currently reading:
Code reader…again

Please do let us know how you get on with Gendan. I've been very pleased with every contact I've had with them and they were very helpful when I was having trouble getting my MES set up on my win10 laptop. However that's just been my experience and it would be interesting to hear how you rate them.
Judging by their website, they like talking to folk hahaha

Well here are some other alternatives:

Topdon seems to have become quite high profile just recently. I came across them when looking for a battery condition analyser and there's plenty of good reports around regarding their products. Someone on here - was it you PB? - recently bought one I think?

Topdon seems to have become quite high profile just recently. I came across them when looking for a battery condition analyser and there's plenty of good reports around regarding their products. Someone on here - was it you PB? - recently bought one I think?
I bought their battery tester. Perfectly OK and seems good quality.

Topdon and Launch and Foxwell all seem to be good makes. As with all this type of kit the devil is in the detail and finding reviews etc. is really required as opposed to buying blind.

Looked up the launch ones and they are a mix of iCarsoft and autel products, and both have mainly good reviews, some issues with the security settings on some makes with a caveat that, those with cars over 2018 will have varying levels of that security
Will have a looksee at topdon and then ring gaden..will let you all know how I get on

UPDATE:
Right…got to speak to Gendan, very helpful but…the world is against me on IOS (it’s not licensed by them, it’s an app, yearly subscription for each vehicle, requires Bluetooth obd and three sets of cables and is costly)
basically, being generally a Fiat family (including the current Jeeps), they advise MES, obviously, and getting a stand alone for any other vehicles. The Foxwell 530 being his advised buy over the 630 range (even the pro, which I was considering) as it does 4 systems concurrently…BUT even that doesn’t cover some of the earlier stuff without three sets of cables and extra vehicle downloads for all the vehicles I listed other than Fiat, all updates are Microsoft (not a problem, the wife can take it to work or I can get a mate to use their MS based stuff)…so…
1-I’m not buying two or more bits of kit
2-I’m certainly not buying Microsoft laptop (as previously stated, wifes work or mate can update for me)
3-Foxwell product doesn’t cover anything like what’s stated (which they say in the caveat) in the case of certain marques, Fiat included
4-now looking at Launch (preferred by my independent) or Topdon
5-as an aside to all this research, DONT buy from Amazon or EBay unless it’s a licensed seller in THIS country, otherwise you will NOT get the updates or aftersales service

UPDATE:
Right…got to speak to Gendan, very helpful but…the world is against me on IOS (it’s not licensed by them, it’s an app, yearly subscription for each vehicle, requires Bluetooth obd and three sets of cables and is costly)
basically, being generally a Fiat family (including the current Jeeps), they advise MES, obviously, and getting a stand alone for any other vehicles. The Foxwell 530 being his advised buy over the 630 range (even the pro, which I was considering) as it does 4 systems concurrently…BUT even that doesn’t cover some of the earlier stuff without three sets of cables and extra vehicle downloads for all the vehicles I listed other than Fiat, all updates are Microsoft (not a problem, the wife can take it to work or I can get a mate to use their MS based stuff)…so…
1-I’m not buying two or more bits of kit
2-I’m certainly not buying Microsoft laptop (as previously stated, wifes work or mate can update for me)
3-Foxwell product doesn’t cover anything like what’s stated (which they say in the caveat) in the case of certain marques, Fiat included
4-now looking at Launch (preferred by my independent) or Topdon
5-as an aside to all this research, DONT buy from Amazon or EBay unless it’s a licensed seller in THIS country, otherwise you will NOT get the updates or aftersales service
Well I'm pleased you have had the opportunity to assess the field. I'm also pleased that Gendan have given you sound advice and pointed out some of the typical issues / compromises. This is why some of us recommend them as a first port of call. They may not be able to satisfy one's needs at a price one can afford and will not try to sell you something inappropriate.

Keep us all updated on your Topdon, Launch, Autel, .... other research findings.

Well I'm pleased you have had the opportunity to assess the field. I'm also pleased that Gendan have given you sound advice and pointed out some of the typical issues / compromises. This is why some of us recommend them as a first port of call. They may not be able to satisfy one's needs at a price one can afford and will not try to sell you something inappropriate.

Keep us all updated on your Topdon, Launch, Autel, .... other research findings.
Will do…I appreciate that I’m going against the tide with MES, and I’d bite the bullet if I was doing this for a living, but, with the forum’s ‘knowledge base’, a good read/rewrite, I’ll at least be able to contribute without going down the microsoft rabbit hole…I’ll let you know

As per discussions with Gendan and a rather unhelpful distributor of diagnostic devices, (who thought I was something to do with NASA, I presume, so should have kept up with talk of ‘coding’ and would like to relieve me of £1000 or more)
I’m confronted with MES as the main contender IF I had only Fiat, Alfa and a few Jeep then…
I stumbled, yesterday on the Jeep forum, on alfabds…I say stumbled as an old friend, in the trade, had a multitude of different coloured leads and an elm’s. I haven’t seen him since he moved to Eire (about 10yrs ago) but we still communicate.
To cut an increasingly long story. I’d not seen alfabod advertised here and thought it was defunct. So, seeing the Jeep post, I checked out the US site, not only is it alive and kicking, it covers FCA, PSA, Renault and other European makes. What’s more, Fuchs de now covers sales and support for the UK.
It still doesn’t support IOS, which they’re allegedly working on, but is fully supported on android, (for which, if I get a generic mini tablet £40 new!), I can get a full bundle, with all the necessary cables for new, old, 3/12/16 pin and free lifetime updates for £114, for £24 extra I can get the swg (security bypass leads and ‘adapter’)…oh yes, apparently it has the capability to talk to MES also, (I dunno, maybe they go out for drinks together or are having a secret tryst)
So that’s another spanner in the works for my decision…as ever, I’ll keep you informed

I’d not seen alfabod advertised here and thought it was defunct.
I assume you mean AlphaOBD.

Yes AlfaOBD is alive and well. Some of the non Fiat/Lancia makes they cover, like PSA are because these makes share/use common systems. e.g. Fiat 500X & Jeep Renegade.

Bott MES and I believe Alpha OBD will also do standard engine EODB II specification support so will do this on any make that complies with standard EOBD. As with all makes manufacturers can have their of specific error codes and functions (by vehicle) so this is where it is necessary to get improved and specific coverage. And with coverage = ££££ as you will have noticed.

IMPORTANT - UPDATES - could be a critical decision point for you

MES and other software or stand alone devices have limited time updates for the license you purchase. In the case of MES you get all updates (bugs, new functions for existing vehicle coverage and new vehicle coverage. After a year then MES continues to work with no limitations but you won't get future updates FOC.

Some (all?) Foxwell kit have free lifetime updates. I did an update to my 2015 NT301 just the other day. Some of the other kit you have looked at or will look at will also come with free lifetime updates I believe.

I'm lucky in this respect as I have an MES Lifetime License which was only available to all those who were involved with and purchased the very early FiatECUScan software (kind of a reward)

If I were looking to purchase any more kit I would definitely be biased towards the free lifetime updates.

Maybe useful for anyone with VAG stuff that the VCDS updates are free for lifetime too - At least mine are. I say that because I bought mine some years ago - was called VAG-COM back then - and don't know if they've made any changes to this of late although I updated to the latest version within the last month without any problems

I know this is a well traveled road but please bear with me:
I’ve got vehicles from a 2005 panda 4x4, a 2009 cross (daughters) my 2019 TA cross, wife’s 2016 renegade and also look after mates who have a 2014 1.2 500 and a 2018 1.2 500 as well as a 2018 2.3 ducato and a yucky 2023 Jeep compass…
So, I want/need a code reader that can span this lot without lugging a laptop around, and it’s a Mac so not compatible with a lot of stuff, although it reads and writes any Microsoft (and android) stuff without extra software
I have got a 2013 OBD generic code reader that’s ‘tired’ and simply can’t decide if it wants to work anymore, mostly says ‘computer says no’
I’ve traipsed through all the threads and, some like this some like the other…has anyone ever got to a consensus, or even a ballpark, as to good all rounder?
Most of your list i think would be covered by alfaobd android version no pc to lug around just a cheap tablet or smart phone , i use a Samsung TAB A and j6 phone. then for completeness Torque pro (about a fiver) . Or £300 plus for sumat pukka

Hi Porta

That was a typo by me. I did indeed mean Alfaobd and not Alphaobd :)
No worries 😉 there was a company called Alpha that did test gear…I thought you were referring to them

Back