Technical Clutch Slave Cylinder losing fluid

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Slave Cylinder losing fluid

dwhyte14

Hi,

I had my Stilo JTD 1.9 StationWagon in at the garage after the brake warning light came on.
I had noticed that the brake fluid was getting very low just before this.
Father drove it once and said he couldn't get it in to any gear while driving. Been ok with me driven it so put it down to his driving lol :)
It was his car and I bought it from him so it was well looked after.

Anyway, they say it is the Clutch that's the problem. Fluid is leaking from the Clutch Slave Cylinder.
They have said I need to replace the whole clutch as it comes as a clutch kit only.
Does that sound right? It is a lot of money to fork out.

I had a new clutch fitted a few years ago!

Thing is, I have only done 38.5 Thousand miles and a few things have needed doing twice like the roll-bar links, front suspension coil and others.
Car is 2003 reg but well maintained and I never hammered the clutch. Mostly town driving. Was well p***ed off with the new clutch fiasco :rolleyes:

I have contacted Fiat customer care as the coil spring sheared in two a few months after the Fiat recall for coil suspension issues.
All the suspension things chappen on the same side as well, Near side front. Maybe a coincidence.

I get approx 45+ miles to gallon in town and a great car otherwise so loathe to get rid but I seem to have spent more on it than it cost me to buy!

Cheers.

It's an expensive problem for some of the JTDs and 2.4's with the internal concentric type slave cylinder as when it leaks the gearbox has to come off for access and it's almost always best to fit a new clutch while it's all out. Makes for a very expensive job whereas on other Stilos with the external slave cylinder it's a £30 and 30min job

Last edited:
Thanks for that, thought so :( bummer!

With a new clutch fitted only three years ago, does this sound like it's one of those things or should I be going back to the garage that fitted the new clutch?

I've only done 10k miles at the most since the clutch was fitted.

Cheers

3 years and only 10k miles? Wouldn't it be cheaper using the bus? :)

But your leak sounds like one of those things because if the clutch slave had a problem when the clutch was fitted 3 years ago then you would have noticed straightaway.

You may not need a new clutch if it shows so little wear and considering the amount of mileage you're doing and provided hyd fluid hasn't gone everywhere. But the gearbox has to come off to get at the clutch slave and it's the labour that costs so that's why they often recommend changiing the clutch at the same time

With so little mileage then it's the lack of use that more often causes problems with brake discs corroding, clutch sticking on, tyres cracking with age, exhaust corroding, electrical connections deteriorating etc. Even with so little mileage, if that is your original cambelt, it'll be beyond the recommended 5 years of age

Last edited:
Oh mama,hope its not the clutch slave gearbox out and loads of other stuff,good days work for 2 persons,slave between £60-£90 the a couple of £100 to fit , but to be honest did not require it to be done so wasted my money they rarely fail (slave)have you bleed the system there is a nipple just before the clutch fluid pipe enters the gearbox open the nipple and pull out slowly until fluid starts to flow from nipple,after a while you may see and hear air leaving the pipe and clear then push back the body and close nipple,before pulling out the slave pipe there is a retaining clip remove this and keep safe and replace after you have bleed the system

Back