Technical Clutch Problem - Help/Advice needed

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Problem - Help/Advice needed

Riv

Hi guys

My 2004 2.0 petrol Ulysse died on me on Friday night.

I've had no previous problems with the clutch but driving along fine and went to change gear and the clutch pedal stayed on the floor and wouldn't come back up and I couldn't change gears.

I managed to drive 500 metres or so in 3rd gear and found a safe place to park up. There was lots of smoke coming out from under the bonnet and a really horrible acrid smell starting to come in to the car.

The car will not start up at all, and if I try to start the engine nothing happens other than dash board lights come on and the hazard lights start up. Other than that the engine is completely dead, wont even try to turn over.

99% sure it's the clutch that's gone but could it be something else that's killed the engine and the clutch at the same time?

Spoke with my local garage today and he's advised me that it will cost around £1,100 for a full clutch replacement (I'm in Sweden where labour is v v expensive and I know a clutch replacement is very labour intensive) Plus extra if there any other problems, mechanical or electrical. Obviously he's not looked at the car yet but he's advised me that if it was his car he'd scrap it, as it's probably only worth £3K max.

Anyway, he'd be happy to have a look at it and plug it in to see if there are any other problems and I'd probably have to pay £150+ to get it towed to the garage. So just wanted to get some advice here first to see if someone might know where I should go from here. Scrap it, fix it????

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hi Riv

We had same problem with our 2004 petrol ulysse clutch went, engine would not turn over, phoned about six garages for a quote to repair, only one quoted cost was about £1000.00, was told its a ten hour job, so we scrapped the car as it was only worth about £700.00

Best of luck

Hi

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear your Ulysses bit the dust. Despite some of their problems, they're such nice cars and am really going to miss it if it has to go. :(

Got the car towed to the garage today and I am waiting for him to get back to me with info on how bad the damage is.

When I was waiting for the tow truck to arrive, I tried one last time to start the car and still nothing, but a "engine immobiliser fault" message came up. Strange that if it was the clutch that went, that this message would come up. And if it was something else, then strange that the clutch went too? I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it was full, so doesn't seem like there was a leak or anything.

My only hope I think, of saving the car is if it's an electrical problem that may have in some way affected the clutch??? I dont know.

Will send an update when I know more. Cheers

Hi

A quick update. The mechanic confirmed that the clutch has broken and needs replacing but he also confirmed that the Ignition Coil has gone also and needs replacing.

They seem completely unconnected to me and as anyone ever heard of a ignition coil and clutch going at the same time and is there any correlation between the two?

I've asked him to just get the ignition coil replaced for now and then at least I can get the car towed home and then make a decision about either a new clutch or new car at a later stage. Thanks.

Back