Technical Clutch judder/flywheel

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch judder/flywheel

eugene

Hi everyone

I've just been told by my local Fiat dealer that i need a new flywheel to cure an intermittant clutch judder problem. The car has done 60k miles with this prob and other dealers have failed to sort it. Does anyone know if this is a common prob and has anyone had the same thing cured under warranty, i think i'm going to have a battle with Fiat over this one :mad:

I'd also like to add that as a first time Fiat owner i'm very pleased with the car in everyday use but the dealer neywork is terrible!

Its a common problem. Mine has done it intermittently from new too and I have always had to be extremely careful taking up the clutch on start-off. I have done 58,000 miles in five and a half years.
At the moment all's OK with mine, but ...

Now and again when cold ! in first gear on my 06 cargo 1.9mjet but soon goes and barely noticeable. i f its really bad and undrivable it will be the dual mass flywheel. But unless its a pain the cost will be £1000 with labour as its a 6/8 hour job box ans subframe out plus new clutch as a matter of course.

get a second and third opinion!

Thanks for the info, i've been to an independant Alpha/Fiat garage for a second opinion and they think the clutch/flywheel is ok, should be good for another 20k, let's hope they're right. It's only when i pull away and i'm not carefull and they say it's common thing to happen. Thanks for your help and now i'll just drive it till it packs up unless Fiat want to do it all for free.

It’s common to all cars (or should be) that use the new ecological clutches (asbestos has been replaced with other materials ), which tends to accumulate some dust on the plates making them uneven (that’s what they told me) and if you think about it, it does make some sense. Usually I feel this judder in the early morning when I first move the car, especially on damp days. After a few stops and starts it goes completely away (plates become even again ). If your doblos judder is like this then don’t worry about it, it’s not a problem and your clutch is ok.

If it only happens when you first set off in the morning it could be the brakes binding rather than the clutch.

Back