Technical Clutch issues

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch issues

mtimm

2010 Fiat 500 1.2
Clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing and fork replaced 18 months ago.
Any ideas on what caused this or where to start looking for problems

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_185254.jpg
    IMG_20221007_185254.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 161
Oh but I am a perfect driver 😊. It's my wife's car. So that's a difficult subject to approach
You are probably more diplomatic than me , as I have two ex wives.
I taught them both to drive , but the first only lasted 18 months and before we married I was teaching her to drive , telling her when to change etc. and she said "stop telling me what to do", so I sat in silence as we went around some bends and the car started shaking, she said "what's the matter, what's the matter" to which I replied "you are in the wrong f***ing gear"
She had the last laugh, half the house , an 1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV and a 1966 Fiat 500!:(

Did the OH do many miles in it with the previous clutch?

That would answer technique vs tech. :)
Not 100% sure but some where around 30k. It was the one in the car when she got it.
I didn't see the previous one that came out but the fork was badly worn.
I'm going to have to do some observation when she is back driving it.
Or if the clutch goes in my bravo while she is driving it I will have my answer😛

You are probably more diplomatic than me , as I have two ex wives.
I taught them both to drive , but the first only lasted 18 months and before we married I was teaching her to drive , telling her when to change etc. and she said "stop telling me what to do", so I sat in silence as we went around some bends and the car started shaking, she said "what's the matter, what's the matter" to which I replied "you are in the wrong f***ing gear"
She had the last laugh, half the house , an 1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV and a 1966 Fiat 500!:(
Oh. I would take the cars over the house but that's just me

I have a choice between Sachs or Valeo clutch kit.
Would there be a general preference of one over the other.

Thanks for all the help and advice
Valeo in both our Panda (mostly driven by Mrs J so know what you mean!) and my boy's Punto have had Valeo installed - really just because that's what our factor sells - I think S4p sell Valeo too and I'd trust them. However, in my time, I've fitted plenty of Sachs without any troubles. I get the impression the Valeo is actually favourite for the Panda though. Our clutches were renewed about 3 years ago and both doing well, my boy's Punto is his daily going to work car so gets plenty of use, the Panda is a shopping car so never gets a good run but plenty of stop start in traffic - no problems with either so far. By the way, both cars took a couple of hundred miles to "settle in" with slightly "wooley" feeling clutch pedals until then.

Valeo in both our Panda (mostly driven by Mrs J so know what you mean!) and my boy's Punto have had Valeo installed - really just because that's what our factor sells - I think S4p sell Valeo too and I'd trust them. However, in my time, I've fitted plenty of Sachs without any troubles. I get the impression the Valeo is actually favourite for the Panda though. Our clutches were renewed about 3 years ago and both doing well, my boy's Punto is his daily going to work car so gets plenty of use, the Panda is a shopping car so never gets a good run but plenty of stop start in traffic - no problems with either so far. By the way, both cars took a couple of hundred miles to "settle in" with slightly "wooley" feeling clutch pedals until then.
What Jock describes I have felt in LUK clutches also, to the point where you could almost make them slip, I mentioned it to my supplier in case of any future issues, however once bedded in they worked fine , so I suspect like new brake pads the efficiency improves on wearing in, so something to do with modern materials.
I never had this problem with Borg and Beck spring clutches in the old days, to the point that they gripped so fiercely from new, on some cars we could place bets on how many times the customer would stall before leaving the forecourt with their new clutch.;)

What Jock describes I have felt in LUK clutches also, to the point where you could almost make them slip, I mentioned it to my supplier in case of any future issues, however once bedded in they worked fine , so I suspect like new brake pads the efficiency improves on wearing in, so something to do with modern materials.
I never had this problem with Borg and Beck spring clutches in the old days, to the point that they gripped so fiercely from new, on some cars we could place bets on how many times the customer would stall before leaving the forecourt with their new clutch.;)
Just so Mike. A new clutch always feels significantly different to the old one, especially if the driver has got used to the failing clutch over many months. We always had a chat with the vehicle owner to "inform" then and said not to be slow to come back to us if they felt something really wasn't right - just good customer relations really.

I bet you're of an age to remember Quinton Hazel clutches, especially their "rebuilt" range?

Just so Mike. A new clutch always feels significantly different to the old one, especially if the driver has got used to the failing clutch over many months. We always had a chat with the vehicle owner to "inform" then and said not to be slow to come back to us if they felt something really wasn't right - just good customer relations really.

I bet you're of an age to remember Quinton Hazel clutches, especially their "rebuilt" range?
It was usually cars like Austin A30s and A40s that gave the most "kangaroos per mile" and listening to mechanics advice wasn't high on the owners priorities.
Quinton Hazel clutches yes, rebuilt no! I recall a fast fit garage that used to undercut our prices, we were fitting Borg and Beck whilst he had some dodgy local rebuild company parts , all the taxi drivers would use him until they found warranty wasn't a strong point. He also was early in doing free fit exhausts and I talked to my Wadham Kenning rep. and said how can the freefit say a front pipe on a Citroen 1220 club for example with the pipe going through a heat exchanger? He said funnily enough he saw him do one the other day, he simply sawed the pipe off just before the heat exchanger and welded around it!!!

Back