Technical Clutch Fluid Replacement - How in Linea T-Jet ?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Fluid Replacement - How in Linea T-Jet ?

Navin Talati

Dear friends,
In Linea t-jet, Brake & Clutch fluid " Petronas TUTELA TOP /S - DOT 4" is used. The Part No. 59064673 is specified by Fiat. The reservoir is common for input to Brake pipings and Clutch pipings. I could replace from Brake- system but little confused while doing the same work for Clutch!

(1) Brake Fluid Replacement:
I replaced the Brake Fluid as under:
There are 4 lines for Brake fluid. 2-rear and 2-front. Fluid replacement is to be carried out in sequence from Longest line to shortest line. So 1 st replace from rear left, 2 nd replace from rear right, then 3 rd from front left and 4 th (last) replace from front right (driver) side brake piping.
Keep the reservoir lid open and siphon out the initial bulk of fluid from it. Pour a fresh fluid in it. one person should pump the brake paddle , keep it pressed and simultaneously the other person should open up a nipple to 1/4 of its turn to let the fluid come out and immediately close before any air gets entrapped in it. Fix a rubber pipe on the nipple mouth and keep its open end into an empty bottle to collect the drained fluid. To open the nipple, use simple or ring spanner. Periodically check the level in the reservoir and keep it topping up during the process. thus TWO persons are required for this job to do it comfortably without any risk.
This way, I replaced the fluid from the brake pipings and completed the job. the car tested and found normal.

(2). Clutch Fluid Replacement:
While starting this job to do , I confused that from where to drain the fluid and remove the entrapped air if any?
Looking to the fluid pipe connection to the clutch, there is a Nipple with a hole but it seems non-openable (with a normal or ring spanner) unlike similar nipples at Brakes calliper devices at each wheel. So there is a no scope to bleed the clutch fluid by pressing and releasing clutch paddle and opening and closing the nipple as in the case of Brake fluid replacement as described in (1). There seems no Slave cylinder mounted on the gearbox body or bell but the only fluid pipe connection (with a plain nipple) entering in to the gearbox bell window. While pressing and depressing the clutch paddle, one can feel the fluid movement by touching the connected pipe.

So my QUESTION is:-
From where to bleed the Clutch-fluid and remove entrapped air-bubbles if any?
Very eagerly your positive response is awaited.

Navin Talati / 31-03-2019

Attachments

• Bleeding the Brake-Fluid.jpg
    Bleeding the Brake-Fluid.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Clutch Fluid Piping connection with Clutch bearing.jpg
    Clutch Fluid Piping connection with Clutch bearing.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 413
I would bleed the clutch system as you would the brakes..personaly I use an Ezie Bleed system and havent had any problems,as long as thebrake/clutch res isnt allowed to run dry it should be a simple job to open the clutch bleed nipple ,as per brakes, and that should be that...

I would bleed the clutch system as you would the brakes..personaly I use an Ezie Bleed system and havent had any problems,as long as thebrake/clutch res isnt allowed to run dry it should be a simple job to open the clutch bleed nipple ,as per brakes, and that should be that...

Main issue is that, in this case the nipple is not openable. It is fixed as an inbuilt part of the concentric clutch slave cylinder.
I am again attaching the pic.

Attachments

• 20190331_102623.jpg
    20190331_102623.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Could it be a ' push thru/pinch ' bleeder like on children's inflatable boats ?
Is it the highest point in the circuit ? If not, the air wouldn't be trapped there ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

hmmm...whats the point in going to the trouble of putting what im assuming is a bleed nipple,that doesnt open?

Yah, exectly, bleed nipple is not a screw-threaded. It is fixed.
How to drain clutch fluid to replace it with a fresh fluid? It could not be done as I deed replacement of the brake fluid.

Could it be a ' push thru/pinch ' bleeder like on children's inflatable boats ?
Is it the highest point in the circuit ? If not, the air wouldn't be trapped there ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

It could not be the highest point in the circuit as it is on the Gearbox's bell-housing. This is one end of the Clutch Concentric Slave Cylinder (CCSC) of a VALEO brand. It has Part No.55237794 of FIAT LINEA T-Jet. 1.4 Petrol.
A similar type pic is adding here

Attachments

• ALFA ROMEO 147 156 GT CONCENTRIC SLAVE CYLINDER.JPG
    ALFA ROMEO 147 156 GT CONCENTRIC SLAVE CYLINDER.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 78
done this recently ,its an open hole which is blanked off with the hose fully in ,you have to push in the metal clip to release hose from fitting slightly to allow fluild to run out of hole ...that's the only way I could do after replacing slave cylinder ,,,can be tight to remove flexi hose...

Back