Technical Clutch chatter?

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch chatter?

mqsash

Hi,

One more issue that's come up on my Uno.

The problem is that when I engage first and release the clutch pedal, the whole clutch/gearbox thing shudders for a second or two making quite a noise and lot of vibrations as the clutch tries to grab the flywheel, but seems to have a hard time doing so ( or so I guess ) .

There three things that must be satisfied to produce this problem .
1. The vehicle has to parked for some time (like after been parked overnight).
2. Happens only for first gear
3. Happens only for the first 3 - 4 kms of driving

Once past the initial 3 - 4 kms the clutch does not shudder, but I still need to ease the clutch, else it stalls.

Don't know if it is related, but off late I am also getting poor mileage.

Any tips on what the problem could be? and what other things I could "observe" to narrow down the issue?

Do I need to replace my clutch plate?

mqs

I have this problem as well (though mine's a Dualogic) - sounds like its in pain doesn't it? I'm getting it checked in the next few days - will let you know :)

Wow - an Australian Dualogic driver?!

Yours is pretty much a brand-new car then (FIATs not being sold in Australia since 1985)...?

And anyway, you're in the Uno section? I think you must have a Punto? ;)

As for your clutch, mqs...
It sounds like oil contamination (sitting overnight etc.) but then you mention having to 'ease the clutch else it stalls', so that has me confused. I wonder if you have a cable clutch - maybe the cable is having some problems. You could try spraying the clutch fork and cable fitting with WD40 etc. and watching the operation while someone else works the pedal. Does it seem smooth?

I think realistically the gearbox must come off to make a proper diagnosis (e.g. if there is an oil leak, to see whether it is from the gearbox or the engine), as perhaps there is a release bearing fault just waiting to break out... it's too hard to pick from what you've said, I reckon?

-Alex

Last edited:
mine does the same thing. You would have to rev it higher to 'solve' the problem. I thought it was because the engine would still be cold. In summer it does it less often.

If there is a fix for this problem I would appreciate it as well.
BTW...my clutch does not slip as I have tested it

Ad

Hi Alex,

Was away for the new year, so could'nt get back earlier....Anway.

I've got a hydraulic clutch, and when I reported this problem to the service station about a month ago, they replaced the clutch cylinders. Don't think they bothered looking at the clutch plate.

Think I should get back to them and ask them specifically to open it up and take a look for oil leaks, and get a refund on a (possibly) needless change of the clutch cylinders.

Wish a Happy 2007 to all Uno's and their owners !!

mqs

To me it sounds as if it could be the clutch release bearn but i've never had that problem but it might be of some use if it is.

Yes this could well be a worn release bearing or the clutch is dragging on the shaft and causing friction and heat. Could also be weak pressure plate or a faulty plate with broken springs. I think the car requires a new 3 in one clutch kit. Might also be a crank oil seal bearing leak that seals it self when hot. What ever, gearbox needs to come off.

Andy.

Yes this could well be a worn release bearing or the clutch is dragging on the shaft and causing friction and heat. Could also be weak pressure plate or a faulty plate with broken springs. I think the car requires a new 3 in one clutch kit. Might also be a crank oil seal bearing leak that seals it self when hot. What ever, gearbox needs to come off.

Andy.
I completely agree. Usually when the clutch comes off, the faults are fairly obvious... e.g. oil contamination, or broken-up release bearing. Clutch parts (clutch disc, clutch cover, release bearing) are relatively cheap considering their lifespan (and the work involved in changing them, though it's pretty easy on the simple-old-Uno!)

As for trying to get a refund of the 'unnecessary' cylinder change... you could I suppose, but also consider that it was probably going to leak at some point in the future, so it's reassuring that it's replaced and serves to confirm that the problem is with the clutch itself. So you're probably better off trying to talk some money off the cost of the clutch change...

-Alex

I have a Fiat Multipla (Turbo Diesel) with what seems exactly the same problem. The car was first registered in 2000, 2 years later the original owner had to get clutch master cylinder replaced because of very stiff gear changes. I bought the car 3 months ago and I can confirm I have to ease clutch very gently when engine is cold, but later everything is fine.

I can live with this problem, especially if it will cost me loads to get Gearbox removed to really diagnose problem... Is there an additive or any other way I can 'maybe, only maybe...' resolve or minimise this juddering noise from cold?

Cheers

Pardon my lack of knowledge, I never had a car with a hydraulic clutch, but what is the system filled with - a brake fluid or a hydraulic oil :eek:?
If it is the latter, then LHM+, "the Alien's blood" used in the suspension system of hydraulic Citroens could possibly bring improvement as it has better viscosity index than plain hydraulic oil used in forklifts etc.

I recently had my gearbox reconditioned as i blew the diff in my golf, and the transmission place replaced the oil in the box with some thick, cheap oil, anyway on a cold morning it was very stiff to engage gears for a couple of mins until it warmed up, turned out its the oil, so i replaced it with syntrax oil and a shot of slick50 gearbox oil, and its fantastic almost changes gears on its own, so impressed i did the same to the uno turbo same result great!! Ant!

Pardon my lack of knowledge, I never had a car with a hydraulic clutch, but what is the system filled with - a brake fluid or a hydraulic oil :eek:?
If it is the latter, then LHM+, "the Alien's blood" used in the suspension system of hydraulic Citroens could possibly bring improvement as it has better viscosity index than plain hydraulic oil used in forklifts etc.

Cz,

Mine's fitted with a hydraulic one, and mine's using DOT3 brake fluid only, was originally DOT4 I thnk, but works fine..I think all the MK2's are fitted with this kind of clutch systems..Hydrulic pressure is used to release the clutch and it's not a hydraulic clutch, as seen in automatic transmissions..

Real easy shifting , but I have seen many more efficient hydraulic clutches in my life...

Rajeev

I recently had my gearbox reconditioned as i blew the diff in my golf, and the transmission place replaced the oil in the box with some thick, cheap oil, anyway on a cold morning it was very stiff to engage gears for a couple of mins until it warmed up, turned out its the oil, so i replaced it with syntrax oil and a shot of slick50 gearbox oil, and its fantastic almost changes gears on its own, so impressed i did the same to the uno turbo same result great!! Ant!

I would guess the clutch chatter from cold on my Multipla TD relates to the gearbox as well, but I haven't a clue where to put Slick50 Gearbox oil nothing said in the manual, does my Multipla gearbox share its oil with the engine? Anyway, I bought Slick50 engine oil and poured it in and I think the chatter stopped a little and the engine is quieter

The gearbox has its own oil which should be specified in your manual, maybe ep 80/90? some times they are difficult to locate the drain and fill plugs, usualy on the side of the gearbox above the driveshaft- ish!!(to fill) have you got a haynes manual if not i would reccomend getting one, always a good reference withthe slick 50 you should also notice the temp guages stay very stable especialy when driving hard!!, Ant!

Back