Technical Clutch advice.

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch advice.

Boothy6024

Afternoon folks.

I'm looking for a little bit of advice for my wife who has an 09 plate Punto 1.3 diesel. For as log as I can remember the clutch biting point has alway been very very low. By that I mean the clutch begins to bite almost as soon as you begin to lift the clutch. My wife has recently complained that she was struggling to get it in hear, in particular reverse. She mentioned this to the technician today when it went for its MOT and apparently they are saying that the clutch plate is only moving a couple millimetres when the clutch is fully down. He wasn't at to say why it was doing it and I'm hoping that somebody has had a similar issue that can point me in the right direction - release bearing, slave/master cylinder, something else?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Ta very much, Chris.

Mines the exact same, even though I've just had my clutch replaced...

your clutch is worn when it grabs all the way up.

Your problem is likely the slave or master cylinder.

My daughter's car does the same thing too. I think it's a very marginal design. There are a number of options:

1. Your clutch is worn - getting near the end of its life.

2. Your slave cylidner is leaking. Roll back the rubber boot over the end and see if it's wet inside. If it is, you need a new slave cylinder - easy job and about £40 for the part.

3. Your slave cylinder needs bleeding. (Unlikely unless it has been disturbed, but quick and easy to try).

4. Your master cylinder is leaking (unlikely, but if you can see the end of it at the top of the clutch pedal area, you can have a look to see if it is wet.

On my daughter's car, I have resorted to grinding the "lump" off the back of the clutch pedal to give it a tiny bit more travel. The movement of the slave cylinder is limited by the movement of the pedal. The lump on the back of the pedal hits a buffer on the toe board. BE CAREFUL!!! Grind too much off and the pedal travel becomes limited by the master cylinder piston bottoming-out, which could damage the master cylinder. Basically, this is just a bodge to get another few thousand miles out of it. Ultimately, the only solution will be a new clutch when it starts slipping.

they failed grande with clutch slave cylinder, so many clutches get ****ed cuz they hold it in just a little, and it wears so much faster, with new 500 they went back to cable clutch like it was on mk1, plain and simple which cant go wrong

Back