Technical clunking sound from rear of car

Currently reading:
Technical clunking sound from rear of car

panda182

hello all,

my panda has a clunking/clicking noise coming from the rear, very noticeable at low speeds and over speed bumps, any ideas what it may be?

Most likely shock absorbers, but could be handbrake cable escaped from its clips. Stick your head under and get someone to lift and drop car while you look and listen. Be careful not to drop the car on your head - use a helper who understands and you can trust.

You could do worse than have a look at the back box. Mine still functions perfectly but seems to be made with layers of metal and one by one are starting to laminate, or seperate if you like. Every speed hump gives a slight thump from the rear, but you can peel the layers off a bit like an onion which cures it, at least for a few months, and then you can peel the next loose bit off.

I've been peeling them off for two or three years now and it's never done me any harm :devil:

Check the front drop links also, can often sound like its coming from the rear when they fail.
Mine went at about 40,000 miles and cost about (I think) £60 all in. Another 40K further on down the line and, so far, no sign of it re-occurring.

Is there a "Touch wood" Smiley?

Actually, the last time Mrs. B found me touching wood without her present she called me a perv :devil:

Back