Technical clicky doorstraps drving me crazy!

Currently reading:
Technical clicky doorstraps drving me crazy!

Brim987

My brava and marea both have doorstaps which click really loudly when opening. The brava doorpin eventually broke and fell off so now it's nice and
quiet, but not ideal if wind catches the door.

I put a new genuine pin in the marea door but it didn't help. I would hazard a guess that the hole in the door strap that goes round the pin is worn and just moves enough to click. Maybe...
This seems an awful cheap bit of design. (Sorry...)

Are new doorstraps the best bet, will that fix it? - It must be a common problem surely...

Any thoughts appreciated, if all else fails I'll just have to remove the pins.

Thanks
Steve

The split pin is supposed to have a plastic core in it to lock it.

Also check that the two screws holding it in the door are tight. On mine both had come loose.

Are new doorstraps the best bet, will that fix it? - It must be a common problem surely...

Thanks
Steve

My Tipo is the same, same strap, all doors. New strap doesn't look too difficult to fit but haven't tried yet. My pin was missing presumably due to the noise, so I put a little screw in temporarily.

Drove somewhere, no idea it had got gusty, opened the door and the wind ripped it out of my hand. Had the screw not been in, I think the bodyshell on which the hinges mount would have bent, it was that violent. It will only be 0.9 or 1mm sheet and there is no way back from that kind of damage there, very difficult to get to. Hence why the strap is there :eek:

My brava and marea both have doorstaps which click really loudly when opening. The brava doorpin eventually broke and fell off so now it's nice and
quiet, but not ideal if wind catches the door.

I put a new genuine pin in the marea door but it didn't help. I would hazard a guess that the hole in the door strap that goes round the pin is worn and just moves enough to click. Maybe...
This seems an awful cheap bit of design. (Sorry...)

Thanks
Steve

See the ads from jockmr2 in Ireland

Lots of parts you were asking about :)

RE: PM him.

Didn't know I could, I've really not got the hang of this yet.

I've got the bits I needed from Italy now, but I'm sure I'll need more bits soon..
;-)

Steve

Don't know if this helps, but on the Alfa 147 and GT, the clicking check straps can be silenced by wrapping dental floss around the connecting pin (don't know how someone discovered this)
Not a permanent fix, but gives a few click-free months.

Why dont you simply replace the checkstraps ????
They are readily avaliable and very cheap Screenshot_20210401-105555_eBay.jpeg

Yes as said above, check straps, are available around, and easy enough to replace, you will just need to take off your door card, to get inside your door to remove the 2 bolts holding your door check-strap
The only tools you should need are a trim removal tool, Philips screwdrivers, Allen or hex keys, and ten or eight sockets and a small ratchet depends on the model car.
Just be careful pulling off the door card, that you don't break all the plastic clips
PS not getting any emails about parts, but thanks to everyone that mentioned my name
Robert.

Back