Clear coat after spray touch-up

Currently reading:
Clear coat after spray touch-up

JacquieC

Hi everyone,
I'm doing some touch-ups on my rusty Fiat Uno (sand, treat, prime, spray paint) and am confused about how to long to wait before adding clear coats. Online, I've read that you have to do it before 24 hours so that it bonds but then I've also read to wait a minimum of 2 days or up to a week so that the paint is completely dry.

Can someone clear it up for me please (terrible pun intended :) )

Thanks.

you could heat the panel before application and after to speed up the drying process... Now don't take this as hold the heat gun/hair dryer in one spot or very close to the area you wish to dry! You need to sway the the heat gun from side to side disbursing the heat evenly.

Once each coat of touch up is dry then apply your lacquer evenly with one or 2 coats allowing for the lacquer to go tacky then apply second coat.

after application of both paint and lacquer leave to dry. This should all be done within several hours to ensure good adhesion between coats.
hope this helps

sy

Realistically you want to be clear coating as soon as the base coat is dry. Once it's touch dry you can apply clear. Best way to ensure its dry is to force dry it using either heat or air. With a solvent base it needs to be lacquered quite soon after application but with a water based base coat you can lacquer up to around 24 hours later. Best practice is to complete the job in one go painting and drying as you go.

Hi everyone,
I'm doing some touch-ups on my rusty Fiat Uno (sand, treat, prime, spray paint) and am confused about how to long to wait before adding clear coats. Online, I've read that you have to do it before 24 hours so that it bonds but then I've also read to wait a minimum of 2 days or up to a week so that the paint is completely dry.

Can someone clear it up for me please (terrible pun intended :) )

Thanks.

I waited 24 hours before wet sanding the coloured coat to a matte finish, then applied the lacquer coats. This gave me a perfect finish without the need to polish the final coat. Hope this helps (y)

Thanks a lot. Started a couple of days ago but after primer, I realised that some filler needed sanding round the edges a bit more. It's difficult because I live in Malta where it's hot and there's not much shade so will sand this evening and spray a couple of coats of primer to see if it needs anymore sanding in the morning and then hopefully finish the top coats tomorrow before it gets too hot. Will be starting around 7am!

Thanks again for your help.

most of the year we have to use a heat gun here in blighty to do localised repairs and to get the old gobbo to go off
we can only dream of wall to wall sunshine:D

good luck and remember 320 grit is your best friend for smoothing filler:)

Back