Clarkson - he's at it again

Currently reading:
Clarkson - he's at it again

To be honest I'm more than happy for motoring journalists to slag off Fiats and Alfas (although Clarkson actually has a history of liking them) for a very simple reason. If every journo raved about them very soon they would become desirable, demand would outstrip supply, dealers wouldn't offer discounts, residual values would increase and so used Fiats would get more expensive :( Those who love Fiats know they are reliable, economical and a hoot to drive, and generally we don't care if we get the odd electrical fault or bit of trim dropping off because most of the time we've bought the car for half the price of an equivalent Ford or Vauxhall. :)

Oh yeah, best beer is Jennings Snecklifter :yum:

pyrogaz said:
To be honest I'm more than happy for motoring journalists to slag off Fiats and Alfas (although Clarkson actually has a history of liking them) for a very simple reason. If every journo raved about them very soon they would become desirable, demand would outstrip supply, dealers wouldn't offer discounts, residual values would increase and so used Fiats would get more expensive :( Those who love Fiats know they are reliable, economical and a hoot to drive, and generally we don't care if we get the odd electrical fault or bit of trim dropping off because most of the time we've bought the car for half the price of an equivalent Ford or Vauxhall. :)

Oh yeah, best beer is Jennings Snecklifter :yum:

The man speaketh some sence! Although remember someone has to buy them nice Fiats new.. poor sods :eek: Snecklifter is nice, so is Black Sheep Rigwelter, Chimay blue, and Ruddles County. Best larger is Schamiclaus however its a bit strong to spend all night drinking :eek:

yes, its nice to buy used fiats at the fraction of rival's prices, but unless fiats world sales don't increase substancially, there won't be a fiat company to buy a fiat from. they are losing money too quickly!!!!:(

If journalists wrote good reviews about Fiats then perhaps they wouldn't suffer such huge depreciation.
H

Hellcat said:
I thought they made a profit last quarter?

Oh and cars only depreciate if you sell them :D

Thats right!

Fiat were actually Europe's most profitable car manufacturer in the last quarter! But before we get too excited thats only because everyone else is struggling currently. Technically, accounting for the cost of the capital tied up in the Fiat car group it is also loss making, and no rational investor would get involved.

It increasingly looks as though GM is the sickman of the car industry and not Fiat though.

How will we cope if we lose exotic cars like the Vectra, Astra and Corsa?!

mbarratt2 said:
How will we cope if we lose exotic cars like the Vectra, Astra and Corsa?!

2003%20song%20contest%20celebration.jpg

?? :devil:

It's sad to see that many people here don't understand the way Clarkson builds-up his article through using his many journalistic skills. I don't agree with much that he say's, but he is a brilliant writer and his literary art on matters motoring is behind only Setright, Horrell and Bulgin, in my opinion.

Clarkson leaves the motoring tests to What Car?; people pay for his wonderful analogies and literary content.

As for not driving real cars or liking smaller cars, that shows how some people here are full of pre-conceived BS and incapable of research; Clarksons daily steer is a 6-year old Ford Focus :p

As has been said, he loves the Panda and, if you read the article properly, he loves the Punto; he just thinks the 1.4 engine is rubbish which, let's be honest, a 1050kg car with only 77bhp from an 8v petrol engine is not going to be up to much. If he had a 1.4 16v model (if Fiat did the decent thing and released it) for another £500-700 (i.e. still less than the opposition) then he wouldn't have stopped himself from getting damp-pants over it ;)

He is knocking Fiat for not releasing a decent petrol engine; not for producing an integrally bad small hatchback.

Clarkson is not a diesel fan, so I doubt he would give much credit to the m-jet models.

As I say, I don't agree with much he writes but it doesn't stop him being the second best motoring journo alive...

WELL I liked the part about wet pants JTD cos that how he affects me He Pisses me of (n)

H2DaE said:
Anyone care to count how many times PNL has declared his dislike for JC on this thread? :p

I havnt counted but Ime sure you can tell me ;) :D

JTD Monkey said:
It's sad to see that many people here don't understand the way Clarkson builds-up his article through using his many journalistic skills. I don't agree with much that he say's, but he is a brilliant writer and his literary art on matters motoring is behind only Setright, Horrell and Bulgin, in my opinion.

Clarkson leaves the motoring tests to What Car?; people pay for his wonderful analogies and literary content.

As for not driving real cars or liking smaller cars, that shows how some people here are full of pre-conceived BS and incapable of research; Clarksons daily steer is a 6-year old Ford Focus :p

As has been said, he loves the Panda and, if you read the article properly, he loves the Punto; he just thinks the 1.4 engine is rubbish which, let's be honest, a 1050kg car with only 77bhp from an 8v petrol engine is not going to be up to much. If he had a 1.4 16v model (if Fiat did the decent thing and released it) for another £500-700 (i.e. still less than the opposition) then he wouldn't have stopped himself from getting damp-pants over it ;)

He is knocking Fiat for not releasing a decent petrol engine; not for producing an integrally bad small hatchback.

Clarkson is not a diesel fan, so I doubt he would give much credit to the m-jet models.

As I say, I don't agree with much he writes but it doesn't stop him being the second best motoring journo alive...

I couldn't have put it better myself JTD Monkey (y)

Whether you agree with him or not, Clarkson is a brilliant journalist/ writer/ presenter and without him Top Gear wouldn't be the great programme it is today. Remember Top Gear pre-Clarkson? It was :sleep:

Many times I disagree with him, but he at least makes motoring entertaining. And if you read the whole of his articles you'll see he does generally make very balanced judgements.

Clarkson rocks :slayer:

Well so we can all nearly agree that the 1.4 is a bit poor,for performace tho decent economy which is more important to most people who'll buy this model.The multijet will be the best model tho its more costly to make and buy-a local dealer has told me that most sold are the diesils.
Auto car loved the punto even in 1.4 model tho they did recommend people buying the multijet.

Yea PNL seems to have a little lack of love for JC.
JC has had lots of jabs and problems ie;his GT40 has broken down loads of times like engine failure,wont open etc worse ever mpg of all modern super cars like Ferrari 360,Zonda etc of about average 6mpg:eek:Fords eh?
Give me the NSX anyday RIP:cry: .
He is just a jurno doin wot he gets paid lots to do and its his point of view.
Best ask other famous jurnos or motor fans like Tiff or Martin Brundle Who look at other aspects for all cars whether its its easy to live with every day drive or pushing it on a back road.

At the end of the day its just points of view and there are others if not better jurnos or reviews which mean jack really cos most people will try all or most that are available to people and how many are bought will be the power of speech for the likes and dislikes of cars;Money talks,Stupidity kills(PNL may insert JCs name if he wants:p ;) )

Last edited:
1986Uno45S said:
I couldn't have put it better myself JTD Monkey (y)

Whether you agree with him or not, Clarkson is a brilliant journalist/ writer/ presenter and without him Top Gear wouldn't be the great programme it is today. Remember Top Gear pre-Clarkson? It was :sleep:

Many times I disagree with him, but he at least makes motoring entertaining. And if you read the whole of his articles you'll see he does generally make very balanced judgements.

Clarkson rocks :slayer:

gotta agree with you both, ive been down to watch TG being filmed and found clarkson to be a genuinely nice bloke who was quite apt at taking the **** out of himself.

PNL: if you dont like him that much, dont watch TG, dont read his columns and ignore whatever he says. oh and watch fifth gear:yuck:

Stilochris said:
gotta agree with you both, ive been down to watch TG being filmed and found clarkson to be a genuinely nice bloke who was quite apt at taking the **** out of himself.

PNL: if you dont like him that much, dont watch TG, dont read his columns and ignore whatever he says. oh and watch fifth gear:yuck:

Hi stilo chris thanks for that and as it happens I dont watch /read anything Clarkson related for that very reason :yuck: I prefer motors Tv I then dont fall asleep :D

PNL said:
Hi stilo chris thanks for that and as it happens I dont watch /read anything Clarkson related for that very reason :yuck: I prefer motors Tv I then dont fall asleep :D

Fair enough!

i dont get motors tv:bang: we have crappy telewest, also dont get the audi channel (which is surprisingly good!)

I don't mind JC, top gear wouldn't be the same without him. Yes he's a little biased sometimes but aren't we all like that towards a brand we admire or have a history with.

I think his views are pretty acurate on that review as is the review on the same site for the Astra VXR. Where did all the oomph go in the 1.4 engine :eek: My mums got a 1.4 idea that goes better than that so I'd say he was being fair personally.

Back