General City Mode: On or Off?

Currently reading:
General City Mode: On or Off?

Lunatico

Hi All!

We all know that our GP have this City Mode that makes the steering wheel lighter for parking and stuff.

I personally love how light my GP is in all ways, not just the steering. So I leave the City Mode ON at all times.

I have a few questions:
1. Will leaving the City Mode ON at all times do any harm to the car?
2. Does it affect fuel consumption in any way?
3. Is it true that it automatically switches off above certain speed?

Happy to hear people's thoughts on this.

Cheers!

Hi All!

We all know that our GP have this City Mode that makes the steering wheel lighter for parking and stuff.

I personally love how light my GP is in all ways, not just the steering. So I leave the City Mode ON at all times.

I have a few questions:
Suspected, not proven to cause early failure.

As it is electrical there may be a minimal impact on consumption.
Yes.

Cheers!

See above in blue font, personally I dont see any need to use the Sissy-Steer system, even with it off the steering is plenty light enough when parking, but it's your car (y)

See above in blue font, personally I dont see any need to use the Sissy-Steer system, even with it off the steering is plenty light enough when parking, but it's your car (y)

I know it's silly and it's sissy but once you get used to it it's nice. :eek:

All I really want to know is if it will cause any hard on the long-run...

I know it's silly and it's sissy but once you get used to it it's nice. :eek:

All I really want to know is if it will cause any hard* on the long-run...

harm*... As I said, some people say Yes, others disagree... I never used mine personally.

I was told that useing city mode puts extra pressure on your power steering and can cause premature failure. Personaly i never use city mode even for parking i think the steering is ligh compaired to other cars i have driven. Why risk a big bill for replacing your power steering it dosn't seem worth the risk my advice would be keep it off unless very nessary.

CITY mode being the cause of premature PAS failure is a myth perpetuated by those who don't understand how it works. ;)

TBH, I can only see it causing a (very minor) increase in fuel consumption if you were driving along a slalom course at very low speed (PAS is only provides the assistance when needed- ie, when turning). When driving in a straight line, no assistance is needed, so the system isn't active.

Played about with it when I first got a GPS but thought it was a bit pointless. I have never used it since in over 5 years of driving a GPS. In my opinion the steering is light enough without using it.

Personaly I cant see it making a blind bit of difference but lets look at it the other way round. Maybe running with CITY turned off could cause more harm then leaving it turned on???:D

I rember when I was learning to drive, my instructors punto had the girly (sorry City) switch.
He got me to try it once, hated it, steering was too light.
Ok yes some might find it easier to have it on when parking or turning round, but personally with the steering being so light in most cars nowdays then I just don't see the point in the girly (oops sorry I meant City) mode.
My Seicento's steering was so light you only needed 1 finger to steer the car, or just the palm of you're hand.

Last edited:
When I test drove my bravo the salesman/saleswoman switched it on while I was doubling back on a dual carriageway intersection/roundabout thingy. I nearly binned it as it went so light!

Now it is only used for comedy purposes - usually by work colleagues on the daily trip to the supermarket for lunch. The only thing you can guarantee with the city button is you'll probably scrub your front tyres.

Thank you all for your personal opinions on the girly mode. I was hoping I would get a more technical and precise answer. So far D4nny8oy's reply is the closest thing.

CITY mode being the cause of premature PAS failure is a myth perpetuated by those who don't understand how it works. ;)

Thank you all for your personal opinions on the girly mode. I was hoping I would get a more technical and precise answer. So far D4nny8oy's reply is the closest thing.

Did you miss the main body of my reply then? :confused:
I have a few questions:
Suspected, not proven to cause early failure.
As it is electrical there may be a minimal impact on consumption.
Yes.

Back