Technical cinq turbo water loss

Currently reading:
Technical cinq turbo water loss

just bought a cinq turbo but the car is using water oil is clean and all spark plugs are same colour i was just wondering if there is a common fault that it might be there is no leaks on rad etc ive also found a pipe was of actuator so the boost was very high im thinking its headgasket or i hope so has its a cheap easy fix :)

Attachments

• WP_000241.jpg
    WP_000241.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 31
Is this the one that was on ebay a few weeks back?

The lack of detail on the ad for a car of it's type was alarming. I'd expect any ads about one of these to run into paragraphs of detail because they are (or should be) generally only owned by enthusiasts. A lack of detail suggests somebody that has just strapped a turbo onto it without a thought of making it (relatively) reliable or somebody that has stumbled into owning one who won't have maintained it as it needs.

The weep around the rocker cover doesn't fill me with confidence either. If something that simple is overlooked, what else has been by previous the owner?

Hopefully it's a rough diamond. Pop up more info :)

yes pal same car i pulled car off ebay because i noticed it was using water and did not want to sell car like that and lose my 100% feedback listing was like that has i have no idea whats been done to car luckily im much better with a spanner than a pen/keyboard even if all my experience is on old fords hence why i joined here has i think its time to play catch up and learn the electronic side to cars and hopefully end up with a fast fun car i can tell you the car is low mileage 40k drives like a new car nice all round car engine has not been converted long and was drawing way to much boost because a pipe to actuator had come off causing a few gaskets to leak due to pressure in the engine like rocker cover headgasket etc the turbo is a small tdo2 with what looks like a custom manifold putting the turbo just to the right of the rad the second injector looks to be run off a small blackbox that connects to a map sensor and then to cars ecu car has a blow off valve that sounds great silicone hoses stainless boost pipes etc im part way threw stripping car to do gasket so i can see if they are any other mods inside the engine i will ad a few more pics and hopefully i may learn about the car further from people off here well thats the plan anyway cheers ron

few pics

Attachments

• WP_000315.jpg
    WP_000315.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • WP_000317.jpg
    WP_000317.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • WP_000318.jpg
    WP_000318.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • WP_000319.jpg
    WP_000319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • WP_000320.jpg
    WP_000320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
The weep around the rocker cover doesn't fill me with confidence either. If something that simple is overlooked, what else has been by previous the owner?

Nah, after replacing 4 or 5 of gaskets on mine and seeing leaks after two weeks each time I gave up on mine totally. It makes a total mess down under, I just clean it up on very oil change, can't be bothered to do anything more about this :cool:

The manifold is interesting, haven't seen one with a turbo located that far out to the right before.

It looks on the surface, without knowing details of what has been done, a pretty rough conversion... doesn't mean it's bad, just seemingly not done the way that most would go about converting one, but all conversions on all cars are unique in some way, everybody has their own way of doing different things so that's not really a surprise.

Really need more details, the big concern will be the fuelling, what's it set up to do? has it been set up at all? What has been done internally, has compression been lowered? All things i'd want to know from previous seller. Look forward to more pics, seems an interesting conversion :)

Was about to say, the placement of the turbo is interesting, and actually I like it, I think it is one of the most reasonable places to put a turbo on a Cinq (and more so on a Sei, there is no gearbox mount there and no charcoal canister either). Only problem is that it makes the exhaust manifold a nightmare, and, depending on the how the manifold is solved, also the water pipes.

Do I see right on the pics that the exhaust manifold enters the turbo on the bottom? Then I cannot see how the downpipe negotaties all this :confused:

Also, isn't the oil drain going upwards?

In any case, lots of things to be reviewed on this setup. I am estimating that the water loss is least of your concerns. You are one brave chap mate, I have to say (y)

car was from blackpool said it had been remapped by some one called turbo doctor who is big at santapod ive never heard of him lol at least all parts are there runs mint so good start for a just put thin right project car not running lean no pinking and plugs are a bit black

For water leaks, likeliest culprits are the water pump, water pump rail, water pump rail O ring and the head gasket. Compression test, dry and wet, may throw up something interesting.
cheers fingers 99 checked water pump when i was timing up car to take cam belt off noticed lots of sealant round the pump face where it meets block and some rusty water marks so problem solved pump out ready just need new pump now

Back