Technical cinq antifreeze

Currently reading:
Technical cinq antifreeze

Hi,
I am sure this has been asked before but bear with me. My son has just bought a cinq 900 sx, first car quite impressed (y) . I am going to change antifreeze and flush system through this weekend so question is do I use a 50/50 mix and will ordinary antifreeze do or does he need a specific type, eg ally engine? Also what is the capacity of the cooling system? I have seen in posts that there is a bleed screw, any idea where it is? Will have to get a Haynes as well this weekend. Got to check thermostat too as car seems to be running very cool, 55 deg. either missing or stuck.
Good board,
Andy.

50/50 is correct, take bottom pipe off radiator (have a spare dubilee clip if it still has the wierd fiat one on, i'm yet to get one of these off without breaking it although is apparently possible). Fill up to the line on the expansion tank and then give the pipes a squeeze to help air lock through a bit more. There is 2 bleed screws, one is on the bulkhead slightly off to the drivers side pointing down and there another on the left hand side of the bay (looks the same as other one). Hope that helps

Descriptions of bleed screw sound good to me as above!

I use Paraflu (fiat antifreeze) no more expencive than any (apart from cheap dirt) and what the car was designed for, 50/50 mix. Never ever let me down.

If not mobil one is not bad from halfords but retails at about 7-8 a bottle in Hellfrauds!!

Just been out with son on driving lesson, stat seems to be working now, car had been stood for a while before he bought it. Can't find any bleed screws though. It is a 96 899 cinq. Most of the hoses look newish and have jubilee clips on them instead of the crimp on ones. I assume if they had been changed the bleed screws would have been on the originals?

50/50. Any modern antifreeze should be fine (it'll have on the bottle some thing like glycol based -- safe for aluminium engines). There may just be some methanol based stuff around which is to be avoided.

I pay something Like £15 for 5 litres at my local factor. It's a good idea to top up with the same make as the corrosion inhibitors indifferent makes may react and cancel each other out.

Are the bleed screws in a different place on 899's anyone? I'm not sure can't remember from when i had one, you really need to find them and bleed the system or you might have an airlock somewhere. I'd just say if when you do find them be careful not to break it, they snap quite easily, should be no problem just a warning..

Quick update, new stat fitted heater now works well and temp steady at just below 90 on the gauge. Only one bleed screw, behind headlight so I bled the system by disconnecting return from heater as it enters stat housing and filled system till coolant trickled out and then bled rad bleed screw. Topped up bottle ran it down the road for 1/2 a mile topped up bottle sorted. PS had heater control set to hot.
Son doing well at driving and loves his cinq.
Just bought wife Sei Shumi in bright yellow.(y)

Back