Technical Cincuecento Oil Leak

Currently reading:
Technical Cincuecento Oil Leak

Andik1962

I am losing approx a pint a week and it is dripping from the boots on both drive shafts. I don't think it's transmission fluid as my gearbox works ok; it's definitely the engine oil that has be to topped up every week.

I could replace the inner seals and boots but I suspect the leak originates deeper up into the engine.

Would appreciate some guidance as the drive looks a mess plus I've just spent time replacing the valve stem seals and piston rings to get her to pass the MOT (failed last week only due to emissions and this oil leak was the only advisory).

It's not just a labour of love, she's an old bag but never lets me down and so cheap to run - the previous owner put in a 100 litre LPG tank and she does 800 miles between fill-ups :slayer:

If it's an 899, or one of the S or SX 1108 Seis fitted with the wet driveshaft gaitors, I'd still suspect that that was the cause of the oil leak. What does the oil smell like? Gearbox oil smells strange -- a bit like cat pee. Check the gearbox oil level.

High engine oil consumption may just be down to the age of the beast, but prime places assuming 1108, are the rocker cover, crankshaft oil seals (both ends) and the sump (eventually they rust through). Best bet is to clean the old oil off and see if you can determine exactly where it's coming from.

Back