Technical Chassis dimensions

Currently reading:
Technical Chassis dimensions

Michiel Dix

Hello, i am restoring a 1970 500F. I am fitting all new panels to the front end including pedal wall, wheel arches etc. I need a drawing with all measurements to ensure i am rebuilding correctly. Anyone knows where to find drawing with chassis and suspension dimensions? Like attached example Tnx a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_5254.png
    IMG_5254.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_5192.jpeg
    IMG_5192.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
Hello, i am restoring a 1970 500F. I am fitting all new panels to the front end including pedal wall, wheel arches etc. I need a drawing with all measurements to ensure i am rebuilding correctly. Anyone knows where to find drawing with chassis and suspension dimensions? Like attached example Tnx a lot!
The only place where I have seen chassis dimensions is in a 'Factory' workshop manual for the 500/500D. I will look into it and see if there is any more information than you seem to have already. Contact me direct ([email protected]) so that I can advise you what I have, and then send it to you if it is more than you have.

Hi I would like to tag onto this thread I am also in need of chassis dimensions I have been looking everywhere but can’t seem to find any I am restoring a 500 gardininera which I know is only 100mm longer but I could do with anything that is available can anybody help?

Hi I would like to tag onto this thread I am also in need of chassis dimensions I have been looking everywhere but can’t seem to find any I am restoring a 500 gardininera which I know is only 100mm longer but I could do with anything that is available can anybody help?
Finding multi-dimensional drawings for any of the 500 range is very difficult. It might be worthwhile contacting Fiat (UK---customer relations dept)) themselves to see if they can help. Even the 'factory' w/shop manual has few actual chassis dimensions. 2 suggestions---(1) try contacting Mark Jayes at "Motobambino"---he is in the process of restoring a Giardy for a customer and might be able to help. (2) If you have a friendly body-shop locally, ask them if they are able to lay their hands on the "Jig dimensions" for a Giardy

Ok Thankyou I will give him a call Monday I did try fiat historical in Italy but as yet have had no response if I do find something I will post info

Finding multi-dimensional drawings for any of the 500 range is very difficult. It might be worthwhile contacting Fiat (UK---customer relations dept)) themselves to see if they can help. Even the 'factory' w/shop manual has few actual chassis dimensions. 2 suggestions---(1) try contacting Mark Jayes at "Motobambino"---he is in the process of restoring a Giardy for a customer and might be able to help. (2) If you have a friendly body-shop locally, ask them if they are able to lay their hands on the "Jig dimensions" for a Giardy

I think Mark has sorted out the only way to get this right. I presume that he originally built his jig bsed on an original and un-messed-about 500 and welded in the fixing points of the jig to fit the major suspension mounting points of the car. The images I have seen of that jig show it to be a very sturdy and rigid setup.

Looking at the special tools that Fiat had made back in the day for doing "simple" jobs such as aligning the rear suspension frames, these cars were much more precisely set up than might be thought by some people. I'm not sure that even if a full set of the dimesional tolerances was available that it would be possible for a home mechanic to be certain that everything was aligned properly as factory.

If I ever get round to restoring my No. 2 500, which has serious floppiness issues, I plan to create a similar jig for myself and base it on the unmolested "chassis" of my old Murf.

Back