Technical Changing the door lock

Currently reading:
Technical Changing the door lock

Cossieg

Hi all
Have a Panda as a hire car and some toerag has tried to break in and has damaged the key door lock. The lock still works but the hire company will try to fleece me to repair it i'm sure. Could anyone tell me where I could get a new key unit from and how easy it to change it? Do I need to match the new key lock with the key so the key stays the same? Cheers

Surely this is covered by the hire company's insurance - so long as you have reported the crime and have a crime reference number, they will sort it

If you change the lock (and so its key!) that means you might be committing a crime - it's not your car so you shouldn't be changing its locks. If the key gets changed, then the body computer/immobiliser needs reprogramming too -- and to do that you need to be able to show that you are the registered keeper and the person listed in the ICR register (the etched numbers on the windscreen)

Don't even try it - just tell them what happened...

100% agree with Hillhopper, do not even attempt to change the lock. Let alone trying to do it your self, what are you thinking :/

I can understand why the OP is thinking along these lines. The way hire car firms treat customers these days is little short of a disgrace, seeking to land outrageously inflated repair costs on them for damage that is often more imaginary than real. In this case, I can well imagine the size of the repair bill that will be handed to the OP. It's only if you've paid the extra premium to waive the various damage excesses on the policy that you'll get away without paying anything, and the fact that the damage may have been caused by the criminal act of a 3rd party makes no difference to your liability. (Yes, the hire company will have their own insurance, but why would they claim on that when they can land the cost on you? Your hire car policy will make you liable for any damage caused to the car during the hire period, irrespective of whether it's your fault).

Having said that, in this case trying to fix the damage yourself is not a sensible course of action, and may well ending up costing you more than your liability under the policy. You would certainly be breaking the terms of your hire car policy, thereby invalidating it, with the result that they could land you with the entire cost of any loss they experience, including any consequential loss. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but you're better off coming clean to them and taking it on the chin. I can certainly recommend the insurance policies that are widely available online and that cover you for any damage excess, and do so far more cheaply than the hire car companies (I've got a 12-month policy that covers me when I hire a car in the UK or overseas - check out the discussion threads on moneysavingexpert.com), but unfortunately that won 't help you on this occasion as they don't work retrospectively.

Last edited:
The cost charged by the hire company will be either the actual cost, or their insurance excess, whichever is the lower. You are only liable for up to the excess amount. If you bought Collision Damage Waiver (insurance to cover the excess), then there should be no cost to you.

I think the Fiat dealer can order a single lock, and using teh VIN number, it will come already set up for the correct key. You could make enquiries about that, to get an idea of cost, to ensure that the hire company does not see you as a profit opportunity.

Thanks for the replies which are an interesting read. I have an excess of €1250 on the car and the insurance doesn't cover vandalism which is how this is seen i understand. I have excess insurance but didn't realise that this does not cover hire for over 31 days and i've hired the car for 3 months. I know someone who was ripped off over £700 for a door lock so I'm trying to make sure I don't suffer the same thing. I'm simply exploring options at the moment but wanted some idea of cost/difficulty to change the door lock myself or get a local garage to do it for me before I return the car. Thanks

I can't find individual locks on ePER, looks like a full set with keys, around £300, plus fitting. Door is a bit of a fiddle inside, bootlock not too bad, ignition ok, but then needs programming to the car.

Need to look at the policy carefully. This is not vandalism, this is attempted theft, of or from the car. Might be a good idea to talk to the hire company sooner rather than later, you both want a resolution at least cost and any delay might raise suspicion on you.

The hire company will see it as vandalism. If you're not able to identify the miscreant who damaged it, it's down to you. And don't assume that they will want to resolve it at the least cost. Least cost to them, maybe, but not to the customer. Forgive me for being cynical, but once bitten twice shy. The advice to study the small print of your hire agreement is however very sound.

Last edited:
The OP can dislike mine and other posts its his prerogative, but to dislike posts with intentions of stopping him getting him self in to big doo doo, is a bit rich.

You come on here asking for opinions get them and start the dislike button, like the advice is not what you want to hear. Go change the lock, happy days it will all be great. If thats what you want to hear, why bother posting?

Wont be giving him any advise any time soon.

On a slightly different thread I work for a multi-national company we had a break in they got into transport managers office and stole spare keys to 120 vehicles last December was quoted 25k to have them all changed and re programmed we have a 50k excess on our insurance :) so we payed to have them changed came in under the 25k as we off leased 20/30 of them for new vehicles a mix of ford transits renaults and ivecos

Back