Technical Changing my front struts and links at the moment

Currently reading:
Technical Changing my front struts and links at the moment

Hmm, puzzling. Toe should not change with suspension height on a well designed set up. If it does (and it even has a name - bump steer) it can lead to unpredictable handling, typically the vehicle will tend to dart off line, especially if just one front wheel goes over a bump.

Our Panda rode noticeably higher after I installed new struts, top mounts and springs. I checked the toe settings and they were unchanged.

Well, I got the alignment done at a garage (85 EUR / 73 GBP / 93 USD) and seems to be fine now. The left tire toe was something crazy like -7,0 :idea:

Last edited:
Well who knows what was at the root of it - and you may well never know now it's done. Good to hear there doesn't seem to have been anything expensive causing it.

Designing a setup which has no bump steer at all is actually quite difficult and most will have it to a very small degree. Where it often becomes a problem is when people start fitting modified suspension parts (for instance radically lowering the ride height) because the suspension components are then working through a range of movement for which they weren't designed.
regards
Jock

Back