CD Player borked?

Currently reading:
CD Player borked?

Fasckira

So I finally got hold of a fascia for the punto to fit an aftermarket cd player. I eagerly jumped into the car, removed the old one and inserted the new one only to find that when I turned it on I got ... nothing.
The red light blinks behind the removable front part, and when I turn the engine on the display flashes blue for a second but nothing happens. I stuck a cd near the tray and it sucked it in happily but nothing else.
Confused, I pulled it out and checked the connections and they were all firmly fitted. I removed it and tried putting the old CD player back in, thinking the new cd player might be faulty but the old one doesnt want to work either now. The old one does however have an orange glow around the volume button to show that power is somehow getting to it but its just now turning on.

Any ideas?

When I removed it? Yes, I think it may have been...

*coughs and scuffs his feet a bit*

Its dawning on me quite rapidly its probably a fuse on the box; I checked the fuse on the back of the cd player but thats fine, but I didnt check the fusebox at the time.

if it was a fuse, then the unit wouldnt get power at all im afraid, i really dont know what you have done lol.

i already know the answer to this, but, did you disconnect the battery first?

I really hope you havent had a power surge through it.

did you try and swap the red and yellow wires round?

No, I didn't disconnect the battery first, and I haven't tried swapping any wires around; as their in the moulded clip I didn't want to start fiddling around with any wires, thinking it was safer to stop for a moment and try and figure out what was happening.
Would a power surge likely to have blown both CD players though? I only ask because I've fitted about 5 aftermarket cd players before and never bothered to disconnect the battery and this is the first time Ive seen anything like this so the odds of it happening to me twice in the space of 10 minutes seem a bit high! :p

I was googling the issue though and found another site where a guy said there was quite a few fuses and that only one had blown which resulted in the red light still blinking at him but no power to the display. Im pretty keen to have a check on the fuse box in light of this but it involves walking back to the car park (a whole 5 minutes!) so I wanted to check all possibilities here first.

didnt know ther would be 2 fuses for backlight and display,

the red and yellow wires - you are safe enough cutting them and putting bullet connectors on (as long as you are decent with basic tools) that was its easy tried and easy put back,

EDIT: now i think about it, Martyn had a wee problem with his stereo iirc

stuarty said:

the red and yellow wires - you are safe enough cutting them and putting bullet connectors on (as long as you are decent with basic tools) that was its easy tried and easy put back,

EDIT: now i think about it, Martyn had a wee problem with his stereo iirc

IIRC it was an issue with the red and yellow wires - these were swapped round (spade connections so easy peasy) - this after fusing half of the bravo in the process. But I think I also had an exposed wire so possible earthing issues?

Dont quote me on the above but that might be part of the problem, if the old one aint working too? Did it work before?

Aye, it worked before fine (except for skipping occasionally when playing a cd).

like you say, ive done stereo's ten a penny without taking off the battery too, so 2 in 10 mins is massive odds. I would have a looky round the wiring to make sure theres no shorts, and double check the fuses too,

sorry i couldnt help any more

No worries dude, any help is appreciated! I just went back and took a look, the fuses looked ok but I of course forgot my voltmeter to actually check them. There is indeed two fuses marked in the handbook as being related to the stereo but like I said, both looked in perfect condition.
Interestingly enough, if I hold the cd-eject button behind the panel the motor whirrs into life to eject the cd. I took the punto for a spin in the vain hope that the cd player would suddenly pop into life but it didn't happen. :(

Fasckira said:
I took the punto for a spin in the vain hope that the cd player would suddenly pop into life but it didn't happen. :(

Need to find bigger speed bumps then HAHAHA

stuarty said:

welcome to mk2 punto's

my hgt had a ridiculous amount of fuses, i think there were 2 seperate interior fuseboards and another large fuseboard under the bonnet, there were something like 62 fuses in total, it was a ridiculous number anyway on an hgt, each thing seemed to have its own fuse individual, so in the ice department, there would probably be a fuse for the stereo display, the stereo light, the multichanger, the light on the multi changer and a fuse for the stereo actualy puting any sound out :nutter:

sidelights, main beams, dipped beams, indicators all had seperate fuses as did each electric window, the mirrors, the power steering, the horn, the interior light, the dash lights, check panel, boot light, the reversing light, third brake light, main brake light (each side) rear sidelights, central locking, alarm, heater, air con etc

and thats before we get near the maxi fuses or anything that controls the radiator fan, lol

crazy, crazy wiring! surely they didnt need THAT many fuses and some could have been covered by the same fuse! :eek:

All the other electrics are in working order (checked them all individually just to be sure), and speaking to a sparky at work he seems adamant that its the fuse for sure. Apparently the one of the fuses supplys the constant power for the battery when the car as off (as well the interior light for example) which works ok, and the other fuse is the 'switch' to control interaction with the player.
I picked up some fuses just now but managed to get the wrong size (the fiat has mini blade fuses :( ). About to get a voltmeter to check the fuse before I journey back down to the hardware store!

EDIT: All the fuses are in perfect order, but a closer look at the wiring on the connectors show that the Punto's connector doesnt appear to have a switch wire to tell the cd player to turn on when the ignition goes on. Im going to have to wait till I get home tonight to check the old cd player to see if its got a wiring diagram on it to check whats going on!

Another odd update; I considered your advice earlier about needing to swap the red and yellow wire buuuuut there is no yellow wire. On the A block theres a black, red, grey and two pink wires. On the B block theres all manner of multi coloured wires.

Im actually half tempted to go home sick just so I can see the other cd player and put myself out of my misery. Also, still not sure why the old one didnt work when I plugged it back in. Its all a bit odd now.

Im probably gonna sound like a retard but.... you do have the ISO adapter thing right? like it connects to the standard Fiat wiring and then connects to the cd player?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It was something like that I had in mine, I think I still have it in the Alfa now actually, the wiring is similar, or so I was told.

Urgh, the new connector arrived and does indeed move the cables to the right places but the ignition switch cable still doesnt seem to be working. Starting to seem like it has come loss somehow, but due to the nature of the Fiat it seems like Im going to have to bite the bullet and take it into a garage to get it properly done.

More bloody money down the drain. :(

From the sounds of it, it sounds like the constant power is connected but the switching power isn't

What model of CD player is it?

On most new CD players there are bullet connectors so you can play round with the switching and constant power connections as most cars are different.

I would try connecting the both the switching power (yellow) and constant power (red) from the stereo to the constant power from the car and see if it bursts into life. If it does at least you will know where the issue lies.

If you were in the 'deen I'd have a nosey for you but I'm not travelling to Jersey sorry :p

Back