General CD Head unit & external audio source ?

Currently reading:
General CD Head unit & external audio source ?

- power off the unit with a long pressure on Power button
- while pressing the SRC button, press the Power one
- UNpress FIRST the Power button, then less than one second after, UNpress the SRC button
- now "CHARGER" shoud be displayed, thus activating the axuiliary audio input source.

alas no. it doesn't work in a 2005 facelift. I've another blue blaupunkt cable available if you want to try - £5 posted

I know this is a rather old thread, now, but if it helps somebody...

The standard radio in the 2003 Doblo only sometimes allows CHANGER to be selected using the Power-Src button trick. Most of the time it just says NO CD.

Connecting a 1K resistor between pins 13 and 14 of the CD changer socket on the standard radio enables the CHANGER option on the Src button. Once this is done, you can connect your MP3 player to pins 18, 19 and 20, and select it with the Src button whenever you want :)

Works ok for me. Your mileage may vary.

Anyone manage to get this working on a facelift Multi?
I've got the CD version but the power/src trick doesn't work, would be nice to have MP3 capability.

Alternatively is there a way of wiring in the steering wheel audio controls so they work on a different head unit? I can then fit an MP3/USB capable head unit and still get full functionality.

Connecting a 1K resistor between pins 13 and 14 of the CD changer socket on the standard radio enables the CHANGER option on the Src button.

Sounds like it's worth a go. I've ordered some 1K resistors off the 'bay for the princely sum of £1, delivered. I've already got a good quality lead with a blue mini-ISO on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other, so this might be just the ticket to finally get my Pure Highway DAB working in the Multi.

I'll be back......

To clarify, it's a Balupunkt head with cassette, as fitted to my 2003 Doblo, but I've seen the same radio in many other Fiats of similar vintage.

I soldered the resistor (and lead) to used 2mm push-on connectors salvaged from old equipment. Not pretty, but a functional prototype. The audio lead is cable-tied to the main wiring inside the car, so it can't be easily pulled out.

RadioResistors.jpg

Just the resistor, on pins 13 and 14, enables the Changer input.

RadioWithLead.jpg

With a cannibalised RCA-Jack lead connected for Line In.

I've been using this for a few journeys now, using my phone or wife's ipod as a music source. With the mp3 player volume on full, the car radio switches between FM and MP3 with only a small change in volume (so no nasty shocks when Traffic Alerts are turned on!), and it sounds a LOT better than the nasty FM transmitters or cassette adapters.

Please do let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
Got a chance to try the resistor trick today. I've got both types of head units (cassette and CD, both are original Multipla units for the roundnose) so I thought I'd try it out on both. Mixed results I'm afraid:

The cassette (CC) unit doesn't respond no matter what I try. Resistor, Power/SRC button trick, both of them together - I couldn't get the 'CHANGER' message to show up.

The CD unit works! Without the resistor, I tried several times with the Power/SRC button pushing, but no joy. So I powered the head unit off and added the resistor. As soon as I turned it back on, 'CHANGER' was displayed. Pure Highway DAB unit rigged up and plugged in using my 3.5mm jack to blue mini-ISO lead and it all works very nicely. It even switches on and off with the ignition. One slight disappointment is that I seem to lose the head unit CD option with the resistor in place - I only get to choose between radio and CHANGER. Any ideas how to get around this?

It's interesting that if I fit the resistor after the unit is powered on, I can't call up the CHANGER option. The H/U must perform some kind of scan when it's turned on to see which sources are available and thereafter doesn't sense changes.

I also notice that the CD unit has a volume preset of 30, whereas the cassette unit is only 20 (which is too quiet most of the time). There seem to be several detail differences in the options menus for the two units. Both are Blaupunkt-made.

Thanks, WideMouthFrog, for trying that out and posting your feedback.

I'm without tools until the weekend, but will be doing some more investigating myself, and will post more details of the cassette head unit I've successfully used, and a possible solution for CD head users...

GRRR!!!
Tried the resistor and wiring in a jack lead but my unit still refuses to switch to CHANGER. Check on the resistor shows 989 so that's close enough to suggest that it's not the problem.
Head unit has Fiat part no is 735391102 S/W Rev. 2.6
I've got a nosejob on a 55 plate so hard to believe that they've changed the spec. from year to year?

WMF, could you provide the Ebay item number/seller for your resistors?

Might help if I can see an obvious difference.

Thanks

Thanks andybloke, worked fine on my 2002 Blaupunkt. Saved me buying a new head-unit and fascia. Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback, MrMultipla. Glad it helped.

The resistor value does not have to be accurate. It just looks like not all heads can be fooled in the same way.

I've not had a chance to do any more research myself due to family emergency, but hope to have another poke around with this over the coming weekend.

Blaupunkt part number from my CD player (for which the resistor trick does work) - 7 642 372 316. This is the unit originally fitted to my 04 plate round nose Multi.

Part number from my cassette player (for which the resistor trick doesn't work) is a bit more complex. It's a Blaupunkt factory refurb that I bought direct from Blaupunkt on their ebay site. They come up from time to time (also the CD unit) but tend to be only listed on ebay Germany. Although sold as a refurb, this unit was in perfect condition and came with a 12 month warranty. There are two labels on the top of this unit (one stuck over the other). The topmost label says Blaupunkt part number 8 627 004 346. The label under it says 7 634 333 616. The FIAT part number says 735 402 931 on both labels so I wonder if the Blaupunkt number beginning with an 8 indicates it's a refurb. Software version is 2.12.

Last edited:
Thanks WMF, looks like I'm stuck with carp radio and CD's until I can lay my hands on a head unit that can't resist the resistor trick (I'll get me coat!).
The head unit itself isn't bad with CD's, so an MP3 aux would have been just the ticket, radio reception is just dire.

Hi momoe
Re: radio reception, have you checked the connection at the roof mount? I know they can corrode inside the casting. I think you can get at the back of it by removing the courtesy light panel. FM radio reception on my CD head unit is generally good. Same goes for the cassette unit.

The resistor trick seems a bit hit and miss. That seems strange, as I wouldn't expect Blaupunkt to be playing around with specs for OEM kit if they could get away with it. Perhaps andybloke will come up with something.

The Pure Highway unit is very good. I've fitted a new power socket to the floor of the driver side glovebox (directly above the fuse tray), run the DAB aerial cable from above the windscreen and the line feed from the head unit all back to the same place, so I can leave the DAB unit shut away in the glovebox to do it's thing. It also has a line in, so I can plug in an MP3 and run that via it as well. It all powers on and off with the ignition.

When I get time, I'm going to fabricate a sprung loaded carrier for the DAB and my satnav that I'll mount in that glove box so that both units are in clear view in front of me if I drive around with the glovebox lid up. Then when I park up I can just close the lid on it all and it will fold itself away.

A reply from support enquiring whether a Blaupunkt accessory (MP3 interface cable) would work on my head unit.

Sorry we can't help you in this case.The radio system is from Bosch but the interface modul is from another supplier.
We have no information about the compatibility.
Please ask your FIAT-Service perhaps can help them.

I'm assuming that the CD changer interface was specced by Fiat for reasons best known to themselves.

I plugged in a cable in the cd-changer slot today, for my Creative mp3 player. I have earlier checked and found the cd-changer input option. But after fitting the plug today I couldn't find it! I tried 20-30 times - no luck. I went for a drive, and after a little stop I tried it again. It worked! It seems like I have to release the buttons at the exact right timing to get the cd-changer option. When I switch off the ignition the cd-changer option disappears, so I have to do the "button trick" again every time. Typical Italian?

When mentioning typical Italian: Should I also mention that if I use my rear wiper sometimes all speakers but the front right fails? Just have to find the sweet spot on the wiper switch to get it working again. :D

Hi,

Thanks for all the headsup, even non of it worked for me.

I have found a solution that worked after all these key combinations and resistor between certain pinouts. None worked and my factory Multipla radio wasn't able to get to Changer mode to receive AUX I was playing. I saw several options that may work but I specifically wanted only Bluetooth, not USB or 3,5 jack.

After some suffer and study I found this product BlueMusic+ that worked from first moment and transformed our old car into modern BT streaming audio center :)

Here is the link. It is 41EUR and shipping was 3 days to Czechia, free

Amazon product ASIN B07JNT7CC6

Back